INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4th Gen - Red X  (Read 1596 times)

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
4th Gen - Red X
« on: August 01, 2004, 07:56:46 am »

I just got a 4th Gen. 40G.  I used ipod's software to update & restore.

Then I initialized using MC10.150 (& later 10.153).

Neither synchronizing nor drag & drop work.  I can't get anything to transfer to the ipod using MC.

After a minute or so after clicking OK for synch or transfer to handheld (I've tried both with the same results), I get a small box that says "h" in the left corner, and it contains a red "x" in the middle.  I "x" out of the box u sing the x in the upper right corner.  Then MC sits there, still saying in the "action window" area "handlold pro..." and "uploading [song name]" but nothing is happening.  I click "cancel" but nothing happens, except it says "cancelling".  If I then click the "action window" and then "handheld pro..." it says "no handhled available" even though the ipod still shows up on the "green arrow" (in the safely remove hardware area of windows xp) and it shows up under the "drives & devices" list, in fact clicking on the ipod device (drive "h" in this case) shows the song to be transferred with the status of "in queue" and the handheld path as "h:\" (which seems wrong to me).

When I close & reopen MC10.153, the ipod does not show up in the "device & drives" list unless I detach and reattach the ipod.

[Edit - iTunes transfers music, at least the few songs I tried to test it, and plays them so the iPod seems OK]

Am I doing something wrong or did the 4th gen. ipods change the file or some other feature rendering MC not compatible?

Thanks,

Steve

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:4th Gen - Red X
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 10:34:36 pm »

Steve,

The appearance and disappearance of the drive letter make me suspect a hardware issue or a problem with another application (iTunes or MusicMatch) grabbing hold of your iPod. If you have iTunes installed, make sure you have selected the option for iTunes to NOT run on connection of iPod. One possibility is that another application is rewriting the iPod database in an MC incompatible way which is causing the red x. Let me know about the other apps. and lets pick this up tomorrow.

Steve

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re:4th Gen - Red X
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 05:01:42 am »

I returned it when the "genius bar" at the Apple Store first blamed the Windows system and then the tablet pc I use.  Who knows, they could be right - they were able to restore the 4g/40gb using a mac.  FWIW, I had turned off the run itunes on connection option & that had not helped.  No other apps that I know of were grabbing the 4g/40gb.  My 3g/30gb has been working (though I have not synched it in a while).
Pages: [1]   Go Up