INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Libary Update vs Import  (Read 3320 times)

AnalogRoaming

• Junior Woodchuck
Media Libary Update vs Import
« on: August 04, 2004, 04:37:31 pm »

I'm moving to MC from Winamp5 and I see lots of things I like here... but one thing is confusing to me.

If I add my X: drive (which contains all of my music) to the Library by doing an Import, and I add some new songs to my drive, how do I get those into the library? I thought doing an UPDATE from the Library submenu would do it, but it doesn't.  Winamp has a "Rescan Media Folders (In Background) command that manages my library for me, removing dead songs and adding new ones.

Do I just have to keep re-importing the files?  If so, can this be done in the background? It takes over 2 hours to go through my music collection and I'd like to be able to use Media Center while it's rescanning.

Other than that, you have a great product.
Me fail english? That's unpossible!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Media Libary Update vs Import
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 05:01:46 pm »

You're best bet is probably to run the import tool once in a while.

Normally it's pretty fast once the bulk of your files have been imported.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 03:09:54 am »

I used to do that. It was quite fast when I was adding some new files.

I have found even better method. I import files to MC from a separate drive or partition. I prepare my files there (tags, cover art, etc). Then I use "Rename Files From Properties" tool for moving them all at once to my library drive and folder structure. That way I also avoid file fragmentation.

You can also change directory path for a bunch of files directly by typing. Select the tracks in MC and type a new path to "Filename (path)". MC will move the files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 01:14:07 pm »

I have found even better method. I import files to MC from a separate drive or partition. I prepare my files there (tags, cover art, etc). Then I use "Rename Files From Properties" tool for moving them all at once to my library drive and folder structure. That way I also avoid file fragmentation.

This is exactly the same procedure I follow.

The think I dont like (and I hope MC11 eventually "fixs" it) is that I have to rewrite the values on the "Rename Files From Properties" dialog, since I use different paths and rules (depending on some criterias...). It would be cool if MC could remeber different rules and paths...

Marra

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 03:31:38 pm »

"The thing I dont like (and I hope MC11 eventually "fixs" it) is that I have to rewrite the values on the "Rename Files From Properties" dialog, since I use different paths and rules (depending on some criterias...). It would be cool if MC could remeber different rules and paths... "

I agree - This would be very useful.

jaguar.x

• Junior Woodchuck
  • no matter what you do...
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 03:41:56 pm »

I agree with you, remember profiles of file types would be a very cool feature.
______
...for every begin there is another end to keep on beginning...

AnalogRoaming

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 04:44:15 pm »

You're best bet is probably to run the import tool once in a while.

Normally it's pretty fast once the bulk of your files have been imported.

Thanks.

I've only been using MC for a few weeks, and it still takes about 2 hours... the same as it takes with no media files in there...

Now, I'm not complaining about the time, but can't something be done to make this scan happen in the background? MediaCenter is useless while importing files... Winamp can do this in a separate thread so I can still watch videos and play music.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 04:46:23 pm »

Two hours?  Something is wrong then.  I have about 200 GB of music files in my library (spread out over two different drives) and it only takes about 5 to 10 seconds to scan them for new files.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 04:47:23 pm »

I've only been using MC for a few weeks, and it still takes about 2 hours... the same as it takes with no media files in there...

Try doing files in batches to see what's so slow.

You may have a drive in PIO mode or an overly slow network.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

AnalogRoaming

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 07:56:41 pm »

Try doing files in batches to see what's so slow.

You may have a drive in PIO mode or an overly slow network.

No PIO mode, and the network is definitely not an issue. As I said, I'm not as concerned with the SPEED... just wondering if something can be done so this doesn't take focus.... background importing.

Pretty please? At least say you'll consider it :)

cycler15

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2004, 10:53:37 am »

If you have to use the Import feature to add new songs to your library, what does the Update Library feature do?

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2004, 02:27:18 pm »

I agree with you, remember profiles of file types would be a very cool feature.

This was already suggested many moons ago!

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2004, 02:30:55 pm »

When the proper options are selected, Update Library removes orphaned entries (ie path to the media files no longer valid) from the database. May also do database operations like compact/repair/re-index/etc.

10-27

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2004, 02:33:17 pm »

"The thing I dont like (and I hope MC11 eventually "fixs" it) is that I have to rewrite the values on the "Rename Files From Properties" dialog, since I use different paths and rules (depending on some criterias...). It would be cool if MC could remeber different rules and paths... "

You shouldn't have to retype them. Just pick them from the presets list. MC remembers the last few values you used:

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2004, 02:38:17 pm »

I think he may be talking about rewriting the base path.  I've made the mistake of not checking the path on a rename and had the files moved to the wrong drive...

TAFKAFEX

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2004, 03:03:33 pm »

I think he may be talking about rewriting the base path.  I've made the mistake of not checking the path on a rename and had the files moved to the wrong drive...

Same here.

grahamk

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2004, 03:26:18 pm »

I'm guessing the files are on a mapped network share. Operations from media center over a mapped share are dreadfully slow.

A background import would be a nice imporvement, or a way to trigger it from "Scheduled tasks" so it could be done dufing "off hours" :-)

Graham

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2004, 04:03:13 pm »

The base path/rule distinction is a bit arbitrary. I seem to remember that the only thing that needs to be in the base path is the drive. You can have something like
Base path - C:\
Rule - Media\Audio\Music\[Artist]\[Album]

Then the path is saved as a preset. I'm not saying it's ideal, but it's saved me a lot of typing.

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2004, 04:11:50 pm »

That may be true, but you still have to make a manual change.  And it also assumes you use the same path on each drive (I do, but others might not).

Here's an example of why it's a problem:

I have a drive dedicated to music (drive M:).  It's essentially full.  I also want ALL new music on drive N:.  Let's say I find a mistake in a filename or tag or directory of a music file that is on drive M.  I change the base path to M:\ and use the rename feature.  3 weeks later, I am importing some new music and forget that I had changed N:\ to M:\.  MC will attempt to put this music on drive M even though it is full (or if its not quite full, it moves it successfully).

It would be preferable IMO to set a base drive/path and for that value to always be the default when you bring up the rename function.  If you wanted to make an exception and change it, you could, but it would only be valid for this one time.  Subsequent renamings would revert to the default base path.

AnalogRoaming

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2004, 04:39:47 pm »

Not to belabor the issue, but I'd really like to know about a background operation for the library import / update.
Pages: [1]   Go Up