INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: why does media center support flac as a native file format in media center 11  (Read 1559 times)

marcmen

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile

it would be usefull for converting to wav

Omni

• Citizen of the Universe

Well, author of the lossless APE codec is a proud developer for Media Center, so between APE and WMA9 Lossless, FLAC is not high on the priority list.  (In fact, I would venture to guess it's not on the list at all! ;))

Requests have gone out (from the community [and also with Matt's urging]) for someone to write a third-party plugin, but no one has really seen the need I guess.  (One guy, I think, started working on one, but he has long since disappeared.... er... I think.)

Zoner

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

Why would you use FLAC when you have APE?  Serious question - as a heavy APE user, I'm interested.

Valissystem

• World Citizen
  • Muso on ice...

Why would you use FLAC when you have APE?  Serious question - as a heavy APE user, I'm interested.
Better cross platform support.

However APE has that nice APL functionality though.

Now if Media Center was extended to handle cue files...... :)

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...

Oblong wrote in_flac.dll (for playback, tag reading & writing, etc). He has the necessary expertise to write enc_flac.dll (as name implies, handles encodes/decodes). Hopefully he can get around to it soon. I use both flac & ape...mostly flac because OggDropXPd handles it so well.

10-27

marcmen

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile

the reason i want flac over ape is that flac is support by hardware players such as rio and phat noise systems for cars and ape is not supported by any hardware devices

urlwolf

• World Citizen
  • building gomotron!

the reason i want flac over ape is that flac is support by hardware players such as rio and phat noise systems for cars and ape is not supported by any hardware devices
I want flac for the same reason. However, rio karma suport has never been a priority for MC, so I wouldn't expect flac to be considered high-priority just because rio likes it :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up