INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 11.0.50 Alpha Available  (Read 2116 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 11.0.50 Alpha Available
« on: August 05, 2004, 10:22:31 am »

We're just starting work on Media Center 11.  We appreciate your feedback on it, but MC11 may not work as expected and we can't yet fully support it.  When upgrading from MC 10, you will lose your settings.  Some plugins still do not work.

If you want a more trouble-free experience, please download Media Center 10 here:
http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/download.html

Media Center 11 is available here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter110050.exe

11.0.50 (8/5/04)

1. Fixed: Installation on a clean machine would not work. (failure to load JRImage message)
2. Fixed: Uninstaller could remove JROptionsHelper, which is needed by other JRiver programs. (Deskbar, etc.)
3. Changed: Direct3D core does a better job of testing for compatible devices.
4. Fixed: Direct3D file views would show "Failed to created D3D device" error when first creating a view.
5. Fixed: In some cases, playlist output could use the wrong files when outputting only the selected files.

11.0.49 (8/4/04)

1. Changed: Several side-by-side install with Media Center 10 enhancements. (let us know if you have any issues)

11.0.48 (8/4/04)

1. Fixed: Mp3 encoder "trial period over" error would appear for every track on a CD being ripped. Now it's just shown once and CD is not ejected.
2. Fixed: Cancelling a rip process is now much faster.
3. Fixed: In some cases, the installer could detect other programs or 3rd party plugins as previous installations.
4. Changed: JRImage and JRReader moved to installation directory. (some plugins may not work until they're updated for this change -- please report any problems you encounter)
5. Changed: Media Center 11 better handles side-by-side installs with Media Center 10. (requires MC 10.0.156 or newer -- let us know if you have any issues)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Media Center 11.0.50 Alpha Available
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 10:32:21 am »

Overview of some of the key MC 11 improvements:

• Animated Direct3D file browsing
  • Vastly improved database engine capable of handling 100,000's of files and large amounts of metadata (lyrics, bios, etc.)
  • Several memory and speed enhancements -- like database and skin unloading when minimizing MC
  • Much of MC's interface can be translated to other languages
  • Integrated database import and update with smart broken linking repairing, and other nice features
  • MC can run with guest permissions on Windows 2000 / Windows XP
  • New view customization system with more flexibility for thumbnail size, text, etc.
  • Options dialogs reworked -- several small options added
  • Added multi-zone synchronization
  • Added Album Gain support
  • Document support with full text searching / indexing
  • Pane auto-sizing
  • Tile view that allows fully customizable Track Info style tiles to be used in file lists
  • New database caching layer that makes a huge speed difference in many areas of MC
  • File tagging happens in a background thread so MC can continue to be used while it's saving tags
  • Basic image editing
  • Enhanced album grouping for pictures so pictures taken together get grouped without any user intervention
  • Preview mode to only play the intro of songs

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 01:17:46 pm »

1.  during install (auto-install), the installer freezes at the screen where it offers to place an icon on the desktop and quicklaunch bar.  I tried it twice and it froze both times.
2.  Now, every single time I run MC, I get this message:
This version of Media Center must be activated by running it once with at least Power User priveleges.  After this activation, Media Center can be run with only guest priveleges.  (Unactivated component: C:\......\mcmimeman.exe)

I am running with Admin rights.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 02:47:29 pm »

Matt,

would you please specify some details on how a parallel installation of MC10 and MC11 works - things such as installation path, registry entries, registration, settings, library import etc.

Is a MC11 installation a completely separate installation or are any settings taken over?

Just would like to know before trying out. Thank you!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 03:18:00 pm »

would you please specify some details on how a parallel installation of MC10 and MC11 works - things such as installation path, registry entries, registration, settings, library import etc.

Is a MC11 installation a completely separate installation or are any settings taken over?

If Media Center 11 is working for you, we'd recommend not installing MC 10.

If you do wish to proceed for some reason, install the programs to separate folders.  Make sure you have the latest versions of each.

This is still shaky ground, so be ready for possible problems.

Omni

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 03:38:01 pm »

I'm reluctant to report this because undoubtly my setup will not apply to anyone else.

In regard to the DirectX problem, I am still having the same problem that I reported yesterday.  Using the debug version of DirectX 9.0c crashes MC.   :(   Again, the retail version works fine.  (For the cause of MC's unhandled exception, see my previous post in the 11.0.49 thread.)

Unfortunately, for various reasons, I need to have the debug DLL's active about 80% of the time, so this means that 80% of the time, I can't use MC11.  (Well, I could assuming I turn off all visualizations probably, but this still introduces an instability I am not comfortable with.)

Now, this is an alpha, so sincerely concede and understand that is unique problem will not be high on anyone's priority list.  The only thing I ask is that at some point, when you (Matt???) install the latest DirectX SDK, if you could at least confirm or deny that this is an MC problem or if somehow my drivers are at fault.

Thanks.

*woefully returns to the MC10 domain*

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 03:45:12 pm »

MC 11 uses no Direct3D unless you run 3D visualizations or the animated file browsing.

For now, don't use those and you're perfectly safe.

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 04:17:26 pm »

Where can I find a description of the new features in 11?
I am running the latest on 10 but would like to see the new features in 11...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 04:19:08 pm »

Where can I find a description of the new features in 11?
I am running the latest on 10 but would like to see the new features in 11...

The second post in this thread goes through most of the big changes.

Omni

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 04:24:35 pm »

For now, don't use those and you're perfectly safe.

Okay, sure... I guess I'll take your word for it. :)   I shouldn't be looking at pretty visualizations when I should be working anyway, right? :P

LonWar

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2004, 04:50:22 pm »

No more install or dll error's..... Excellent!!

Feature Requests

**Be able to have the EQ always visible in MegaMe
**Be able to change the tool tip fonts and background color... Would love to be able to use the ThunderStorm windowblinds skin again.
**Any way for you guys to be able to let us specify different Import locations for each library

Thanks,
-
Pages: [1]   Go Up