INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tomatoes  (Read 2424 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Tomatoes
« on: August 03, 2004, 08:39:26 pm »

I got a couple of tomatoes today from my garden.  It's August 3rd, and my mom used to say you shouldn't expect tomatoes in Minnesota until August, so I think I did OK.  They were a little orange, not red, but they were "heirloom" tomatoes, so I suppose it's what you could expect.

Anybody else eating anything you've killed today?

paulr

• nothing more to say...
Re:Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 08:45:31 pm »

I've got a huge pequin (or chiltepin) pepper bush in my backyard.  Hot stuff, but great!

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 08:46:51 pm »

Green beans and cukes on tonights menu.  Bought bacon today so I'll be prepared for BLT's as soon as the first tomato is ready - probably another week.  Can't wait!

Shelly

bebop

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 08:49:37 pm »

Zip, zilch, nada here....the deer beat us to it...in fact they have pretty much munched every plant in the garden - even those that are supposedly deer proof. :(

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 09:33:31 pm »

I have been eating cucumbers from my garden a lot recently. I am afraid I will get tired of them soon.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 11:48:07 pm »

Being incredibly hungry last night and having no food in the house, I had to resort to eating a handful of dirt from the back garden. I made sure I killed it first, as my "100 Great Australian Recipes Using Nothing But Dirt" book states quite emphatically that "All dirt must be killed before any further preparation can be undertaken. Failure to do so may render your dirst exceedingly tough and unpalatable, and in extreme cases inedible. Once the dirt has been despatched it should be chilled immediately to avoid further deterioration".
Cheers
Rob

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 08:26:27 am »

Why Aussies are so gritty.   :P

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 12:10:51 pm »

All Ive got thats edible in my garden is mint - most summer nights I harvest some for a mojito or two. Food I get from the supermarket.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 12:19:28 pm »

I still have tomatoes comming in, normaly they are about dead this time of year in NC
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

bebop

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 12:51:37 pm »

I saw the pics of those tomatoes King, you should be congratulated!  :D

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 01:12:16 pm »

yea but it cost me about $25 per tomato  ;D
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Omni

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 01:44:32 pm »

Raw, sliced, ripe tomatoes lightly sprinkled with salt and pepper (pepper optional) is one of Mother Earth's greatest fruits.  ;D

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2004, 01:14:14 am »

Omni,

To my experienced tongue, what you said, but on heavily buttered toast is the ultimate!
Cheers
Rob

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2004, 03:35:21 am »

Got a peppermint plant on my window sill. I'm just drinking some delicious peppermint tea made from the fresh, green leafs. We 've got 30 degrees at the moment, and it's the right drink for that...
Uwe

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2004, 11:39:11 am »

Try this Jim (in case you missed it on King's NC Tomatoe thread)...

http://www.chilipaper.com/FRecipes/Fappeteazers/Fhdos/bruchetta.htm

Totally awesome!

10-27

JohnT

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2004, 01:14:40 pm »

Being incredibly hungry last night and having no food in the house, I had to resort to eating a handful of dirt from the back garden.
Along the lines of "Kid.. when I was your age we walked 10 miles to school.. uphill both ways.":

"Kid, when I was your age we ate dirt.. and we liked it!"

Zip, zilch, nada here....the deer beat us to it...in fact they have pretty much munched every plant in the garden - even those that are supposedly deer proof. :(
That was our experience until we put up a six foot fence. The deer could jump it but they don't seem to bother.

Lately we've been having sweet corn from local roadside stands along with our homegrown green beans, tomatoes, and cukes. It's a great time of year.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

bebop

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2004, 01:35:14 pm »

Alas, Jim, we live in an area where fences aren't encouraged (have to go through a strata application, would loose the beautiful views,  etc) both for esthetic and safety reasons, so the deer have free reign.  Living in a protected forest area has it's disadvantages (veggies and flowers get eaten by the wildlife) and advantages...you are surrounded by native forest instead of houses packed so close together that you can't spit without hitting a house.  Not that I would spit, of course!.  So we're trying natuopathic approach to the deer problem ...garlic sachets tied to the most enjoyed plants in the garden buffett. So far, it appears to be working....except for the fawns...it appears that they will try anything once!  Other deer proofing suggestions are welcome, though...just keep in mind that we be vegetarians!  ;D

bebop

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2004, 01:50:07 pm »

PS...here's  a link to some pics of my back garden...how's about pics of your famous tomatoe patch? ;D

http://bebop-girl.com/gallery/Garden?page=1

iris4u

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2004, 05:17:37 pm »

This year we have about 18 HUGE Brandywine & other Heirloom tomato plants from which we've been picking ripe fruit for about the last  2 weeks now. We grow them supported inside wire cages I made from 12gage 8x8 reinforcing wire. Makes it real easy to train the plants upright to keep fruit from rotting on the ground.

You havent lived until you've built & eaten a burger with 2 thick,red,ripe,sweet,juicy Brandywine slices with a seasoned ground-turkey-pattie between 'em all on a toasted onion bun with Cattlemen's BBQ sauce & homemade sweet&sour pickles. Total tastebud meltdown!

We also grow cukes & love eatin 'em sliced up with the tomatoes, a bit of fresh basil, & a balsamic vinegrette.
If you get tired of plain cukes, try making a dressing from sour cream, a little white vinegar & sugar.
Mix in a couple peeled sliced cukes, chill it in the fridge for 1hr & you've got a great-tasting summertime salad.

Deer problems? Yes, our boondocks is crawling with 'em. Which is why dad & I put up a 6 foot chain-link fence 25 years ago. Otherwise, we would have nothing left.

As it is, we have to grow our blueberries & blackberries under chicken wire to keep the birds from stripping the plants clean of fruit.
The apple, pear & peach trees' fruit get bird peck holes in 'em cause the trees are too big for a wire cage or netting.
Murphy always rules.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2004, 06:28:36 pm »

Nice post, iris.  I have to go get something to eat now.    :-*

bebop

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2004, 07:19:32 pm »

uuuummmmmm, burgers (veggie, of course) with tomatoes and blueberries for dessert.....thanks for the menu plan!  
Pages: [1]   Go Up