INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few weird playlist & renaming problems  (Read 1050 times)

DancingSamurai

• Recent member
A few weird playlist & renaming problems
« on: August 07, 2004, 12:12:59 pm »

Hi, I've been using MC9 and then 10 for a while now. Recently I found some time to organize the rest of my music collection and noticed some behaviours in the recent (Mc 10.0.155 & 10.0.157) that hadn't happened with the versions I was using before.

1) When using the Rename Files from properties... feature, some files don't get renamed. It changes the filename field in the database but fails to rename the file, and so MC loses track of the song. I noticed this happens when the track in question has multiple periods ('.') in the artist (and maybe other) fields.

After an error like this, MC starts behaving strangely - for example, if I try and remove the resulting disconnected DB entry (using Shift-Delete), MC deletes the wrong file (not the track I have selected, but a different one in the currently selected playlist).

2) Sometimes when I select all tracks in a playlist and hit delete, when I refresh the list, some tracks are still present. Occasionally some tracks resist removal like this several times, so I have to close MC and restart it, then delete the track, for it to go away.

These are minor nitpicks in an otherwise great product, but minor nitpicks is why I switched from WMP (free...) to your software.

Thanks for looking into these bugs!

Media Center Registered 10.0.157 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2657 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 457 MB, Free - 22 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1552 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1556 (xpsp2_gdr.040517-1325) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: MATSHITA UJ-810             Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:2  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: No /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
--DancingSamurai
... Use tasteful words. You may have to eat them.

JONCAT

Re:A few weird playlist & renaming problems
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 10:19:37 pm »

bump

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 11:32:28 am »

I couldn't reproduce these.  Any more details?

Maybe try running the "Update Library" tool.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DancingSamurai

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 07:45:22 pm »

Thanks for looking into this.

Not sure how much more I can say... most of the time I don't see this, but when I've been working with MC for a long time, it happens. How I have this set up is I have temporary playlist I drag a few files into to clean up the tags and organize into my library. I make heavy use of the 'fill properties from filename' and 'rename files from properties' functions, and of course I delete tracks from the playlist when I'm finished filing them. Sometimes I also shift-delete to remove tracks from the MC library and move them to the Recycle Bin.

After a few hours of this, I start getting the weird behaviour I described above.

I think the "deleting the wrong tracks" bug and the "failure to remove tracks from the playlist" bug are related; for example, I have tracks 5-8 selected on the playlist, hit shift-delete to remove them from the library. When I refresh the playlist (by selecting another view and then returning to the playlist), there are a few tracks that shouldn't have been in the playlist (I removed them earlier) at the top; the tracks I wanted to delete are still there but the tracks that would've been in positions 5-8, counting those extra tracks, are gone (and also gone from the library, and moved to the recycle bin).

Does that description make any sense?

Closing down MC and restarting it fixes the error for a few minutes, but then it's back. Rebooting the PC might work better but I have too many downloads going to attempt that at the moment.

I haven't seen the 'failure to rename track' bug since I made my initial post...
--DancingSamurai
... Use tasteful words. You may have to eat them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up