INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (Was) 4 common sense requests for MC ~now 1!  (Read 2128 times)

JONCAT

(Was) 4 common sense requests for MC ~now 1!
« on: August 07, 2004, 10:27:24 pm »

1. Select all toggle when ripping. Do we have to manually toggle the little checkboxes everytime when picking tracks to rip. (okay, right clicking on one file and choosing rip cd will select just one box and you can go from there)

~fixed; you have to selectr rip cd and view the list then they are all selected. Still would be nice to have a select all button imo.

2. Why do we have to complete the data for an entire cd not in the database when I only want to name three tracks myself and rip them????

~I think I was simply trying to do this in the YADB lookup pane; you just have to let the cd be recognozed as unknown first, and label it & rip from there.

3. Ability to view playlists with windows Artist/Album. Since the Audio group contains EVERYTHING you add to MC, artists from mixes etc. get mixed in. I want to use that Audio view for one type of music but can't; unless I manully go in a de-select the artists I don't want included...which would take forever.

~fixed ...sort of see other post

If there is a way to do these things with MC, please enlighten me. Otherwise EAC seems to have an edge for some time saving tasks. I love MC and doesn't it seem like these features should be included.....a select all button...basic but VERY handy!

v/r
Jon

paulr

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re:4 common sense requests for MC
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 11:57:00 pm »

1.  All tracks are always selected by default when I rip.  Most people rip entire CDs, so this is the way it should be IMO.  Are you saying they aren't all selected for you?

2.  I didn't think you did, but I'll take your word for it...  Maybe it's because an incomplete YADB entry would be more annoying than a nonexistant one!  :)

3.  If I understand you correctly, this can be done easily with View Schemes.  Right click the Audio tree item and select Add View Scheme.  Then select what you want.

4.  Why would you want to use a previous version of APE?  Anyway, you might be able to do this as an external codec, but I haven't tried it.  APE was developed by one of the members of the MC team (Matt), so MC will always have the current version.

JONCAT

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 01:26:47 am »

I forgot you can edit the names of the cd tracks right there in the window if need be. I agree about the YADB bad entry and was thinking the same thing.

I just couldn't figure out how to rip one track, but all you need to do is right click and select rip cd and it starts with one box/track selected.

I am having problems with the newest version of 3.99 and until I get it sorted out I'd like to use an older codec.

I messed around with the edit view scheme the other night and couldn't get that view but I'll try again now.

thanks
Jon

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 06:58:44 am »

Yes, I too think there could be some improvement in the way MC presents the ripping process on screen.  The MC method is not as slick or as intuitive as the way Real does it with RealOne Player.

What RealOne does is to put everything except the ripping options in each horizontal row right next to the song title with a little horizontal fuel gauge (which becomes the width of the current column). There is one fuel gauge for each song title. To the left of the fuel gauge you can check or uncheck individual songs (similar to the way MC does it.  Superimposed on the gauge is the percentage done number (0-100).  As the ripping process runs the gauge goes from empty to full with the percentage number changing form 0-100.  When the rip is done the gauge changes to text saying DONE.  No separate pop up screen is used to distract you.

What I really like about this is that I can instantly see the status of the ripping process of all songs at one glance without having to go to a separate pop up screen like MC does.  With MC I have to look at a separate (number of done) pop up screen and mentally see the fuel gauges.

I just think Real has done a better job with the ripping presentation.

Maybe this is something that JRiver could change (for the better). ?
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

JohnT

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 10:25:47 am »

Yes, I too think there could be some improvement in the way MC presents the ripping process on screen.  The MC method is not as slick or as intuitive as the way Real does it with RealOne Player.

What RealOne does is to put everything except the ripping options in each horizontal row right next to the song title with a little horizontal fuel gauge (which becomes the width of the current column). There is one fuel gauge for each song title. To the left of the fuel gauge you can check or uncheck individual songs (similar to the way MC does it.  Superimposed on the gauge is the percentage done number (0-100).  As the ripping process runs the gauge goes from empty to full with the percentage number changing form 0-100.  When the rip is done the gauge changes to text saying DONE.  No separate pop up screen is used to distract you.

What I really like about this is that I can instantly see the status of the ripping process of all songs at one glance without having to go to a separate pop up screen like MC does.  With MC I have to look at a separate (number of done) pop up screen and mentally see the fuel gauges.

I just think Real has done a better job with the ripping presentation.

Maybe this is something that JRiver could change (for the better). ?
In MC, what is the "separate pop up screen.." you are talking about? Do you mean the ripping action window? The main difference I see between the Real ripping display and the MC ripping display is that Real places the progress bar for the rip on each row (one per track) whereas MC has a single progress bar in the action window. In MC you can see the status of each track instantly since there is a status column similar to Real Player that shows either "Pending", "Ripping", or "Complete" for all tracks on the CD. So it sounds like the main change you would like to see in MC is to add the progress bar into the list of tracks. Is that correct?

Thanks!
John T.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 10:45:30 am »

Hi John;

Ripping Action window... yes.

YES, I would LOVE to see the progress bar added to the tracks.  That would be simply wonderful.  ;D

I just like the way Real does it better.  No seperate window required. :P  I instantly know how many tracks have been ripped & how many are left to rip.

Real's is much cleaner to my way of thinking.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

dcwebman

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 01:45:58 pm »

3. Ability to view playlists with windows Artist/Album. Since the Audio group contains EVERYTHING you add to MC, artists from mixes etc. get mixed in. I want to use that Audio view for one type of music but can't; unless I manully go in a de-select the artists I don't want included...which would take forever.

When I first read this, perhaps I misunderstood, but I loved the idea. Since there is no way to link one file to multiple albums, the closest thing is to create multiple playlists to represent the different albums. But then the playlists sit at the bottom of MC and the artists/albums are at the top. If there was a way to mix the playlists among the artists/albums, that would be great. I did try some view schemes and if that does work that way already, I couldn't come up with the combination.

Jeff
Jeff

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 08:47:36 pm »

... Since there is no way to link one file to multiple albums, the closest thing is to create multiple playlists to represent the different albums. ...

I wrote this some time ago: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=22715;start=msg158190#msg158190
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

dcwebman

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 09:43:15 am »

Alex, I actualy read that thread before I posted but I don't really have the time or need to get into other formats like APE, APL, etc. You did mention in that thread about creating a playlist to represent an album.

All I would like to see is the ability to mix playlists among the albums in the Media Library among my schemes like Artist/Album. For example, I could pull up the Artist Chicago and there are 5 albums listed along with the 2 Chicago playlists that I created. That way there's only place to go and easily solves the problem about duplicates.
Jeff
Jeff

JONCAT

Found a solution, but still needs atention.
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 01:09:50 pm »

Here's my solution to my particular problem (mentioned earlier #3).

I couldn't find a way to mix playlists into the Artist/Album section but I succeeded by using:

1. Audio (main) has view scheme edited to File Location & Artist. (artist is imperitive because if you have Various Artist albums, those artist's song's won't get "pulled" into the list)

2. Add to that a new view scheme that has Artist & also Album.

Now I have that one location of files, my 250GB G: drive that has one genre, viewed with the artist & album windows.

The PROBLEM is, I don't think you can add another file location...this is ESSENTIAL!!!! Media Center is great, but it either needs to allow this or allow playlists to be viewed with artist/album views if MC is to be geared to large collections and offer true customizing of archiving, this really needs to be considered. What happens when I add the next HD to my system, I am back at square one. Media Center is #1 for me now but I hate to see this point get overlooked because the whole concept od MC's functionality gets lost without this option  :'(

feedback please.
Jon
Pages: [1]   Go Up