INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: efficient way of syncing MC library with portable's library  (Read 1145 times)

pipsqueak

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
efficient way of syncing MC library with portable's library
« on: August 08, 2004, 02:50:15 pm »

i use mainly high bitrate MP3 VBR and ape's at home and because these wont really fit on my portable i take all my 4 and 5* rated stuff and transcode it to 128kb mp3 and store it under a separate library which i use for my portable mp3 player/laptop. I update this every 2 or 3 months to ensure i have a full collection of good music.

The problem with this is that the portable library becomes a slave and although i listen to it regularly there is no point me fixing any bad names or re-rating music as it is inevetably wiped over when i recopy an updated 4/5* batch over.

Does anyone have a more elegant solution to this problem?

pip

SteveG

Re:efficient way of syncing MC library with portable's library
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 09:32:01 am »

pip,

One solution is to use your main library and when you update your Portable, enable the on the fly conversion and then transfer the files. The downside is that the transfer will take a long time. The upside is, you are managing only one library.

With your current solution, when do you transcode the files?

Steve

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
Re:efficient way of syncing MC library with portable's library
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 11:23:12 am »

currently i copy all my 4 and 5* files to a different directory, then transcode them (its a few thousand files so it takes all night). i would transcode on the fly if it were just for the mp3 player, but i like to copy all these files to the laptop so if i'm in the car or at a friends house (with an FM transmitter) i always have music playing. if i had to transcode this amount of files regularly it would be a real pain as it virtually locks my pc while its in progress....

thanks for the tip though

Pages: [1]   Go Up