INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 11.0.63 Alpha Available  (Read 4039 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 11.0.63 Alpha Available
« on: August 18, 2004, 05:11:15 pm »

We're still working on Media Center 11.  We appreciate your feedback on it, but MC11 may not work as expected and we can't yet fully support it.  When upgrading from MC 10, you will lose your settings.  Some plugins still do not work.

If you want a more trouble-free experience, please download Media Center 10 here:
http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/download.html

Media Center 11 is available here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter110063.exe

11.0.63 (8/18/04)

1. Fixed: Smartlist selection dialog would show an extra checked empty value when <empty> was selected.
2. Fixed: Drag-n-drop of subfolders with periods in them would not always work properly.
3. Changed: Column auto-sizing enlarges columns when their ideal widths don't fill the view.
4. Changed: Changed Import's 'Analyzing Library' status reporting to be less confusing.
5. Changed: Portable devices will match files with MC based on 'Album Artist(Auto)' field rather than 'Artist'. Album Artist(Auto) will populate the 'Artist' filed on devices after a transfer or sync.
6. Fixed: File associations would not be set on a clean install.
7. Fixed: Switching from windowed to fullscreen view could leave the windowed icon in the tray.
8. Changed: Cancel button would be disabled during the import stage of the import & update system.
9. Fixed: After removing a file, MC would allow that file to be added to the database multiple times until a restart.
10. Fixed: When using the WMP video playback engine, fast forward and rewind would not function properly.
11. NEW: Several search bar / smartlist enhancements. (improved formatting, improved truncate logic, update menu layout, etc.)
12. NEW: Updated 'Devices' options page to use the new options system.
13. NEW: Updated 'Startup' options page to use the new options system.
14. Changed: Showing a split view requires Shift+Ctrl when clicking a tree item instead of just Ctrl. (still a temporary system)

11.0.53 (8/9/04)

1. Fixed: When burning an audio CD with direct decoding enabled, some mp3 source files could cause incorrect track boundaries on the resultant CD.
2. Fixed: Playing Now display could be lost when refreshing the view, causing playback of files to fail.
3. Fixed: In some cases the Action Window would not update when changing pages.
4. Fixed: Album tooltips could show <too many files to list> for all albums.
5. Fixed: In split-pane mode, the status bar would only work for the bottom pane.
6. Fixed: AAC file importing will include 'Album' information correctly.  
7. NEW: Several image editor improvements and fixes.
8. NEW: Media Server notifies when already running.
9. Fixed: When synching to Portables, 'Delete unselected files' not always being recognized correctly.
10. Fixed: MC could display a "failed to register mcmimeman" message on startup.
11. Changed: Portable devices will be accessed via WMDM (except for iPod) by default. For devices which support DRM protection and for which we have a plugin, the plugin will automatically install and run in place of WMDM.
12. NEW: Split-pane will automatically open showing track listing when burning a CD.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Media Center 11.0.63 Alpha Available
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 05:11:24 pm »

Overview of some of the key MC 11 improvements:

• Animated Direct3D file browsing
  • Split views so you can look at two (or more) views at the same time (ex. look at Media Library and Playing Now together)
  • Vastly improved database engine capable of handling 100,000's of files and large amounts of metadata (lyrics, bios, etc.)
  • Several memory and speed enhancements -- like database and skin unloading when minimizing MC
  • Much of MC's interface can be translated to other languages
  • Integrated database import and update with smart broken linking repairing, and other nice features
  • MC can run with guest permissions on Windows 2000 / Windows XP
  • New view customization system with more flexibility for thumbnail size, text, etc.
  • Options dialogs reworked -- several small options added
  • Added multi-zone synchronization
  • Added Album Gain support
  • Document support with full text searching / indexing
  • Pane auto-sizing
  • Tile view that allows fully customizable Track Info style tiles to be used in file lists
  • New database caching layer that makes a huge speed difference in many areas of MC
  • File tagging happens in a background thread so MC can continue to be used while it's saving tags
  • Basic image editing
  • Enhanced album grouping for pictures so pictures taken together get grouped without any user intervention
  • Preview mode to only play the intro of songs
  • Many enhancements to the search bar

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 05:20:07 pm »

I dunno what you changed, but this build FLIES
Ran through my 200gb drive in a flash on an import/update.  MUCH faster than before.

;D

(watch them say they changed nothing and I am just plain nutz)   :P
. . . the game is rigged

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 05:59:36 pm »

I don't know what Change or Fix in this build did it, but the sluggish behaviour of MC when saving tagchanges has gone. Thank you very much!
A day without laughing is a day without living

LonWar

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 06:48:01 pm »

Requests:

**Can you please add    .csv to the supported list. It opens with MS Excell.
**Be able to have the EQ always visible in MegaMe
**Be able to change the tool tip fonts and background color... Would love to be able to use the ThunderStorm windowblinds skin again.
**Any way for you guys to be able to let us specify different Import locations for each library
**Can we be able to view www.last.fm from within MC. This is for the AudioScrobbler Plugin.

Thanks and have a good night!!
-

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 08:45:25 pm »

I'll put my default request list up in just a second, but can I request a version of the Tempo & Pitch Control DSP Plugin for 11.0 builds ?

My request wishlist:
  • Since a new backup is created on each import, can we set the number of MAX Backups to retain?
  • [Date (Month #)] Field -- Please ?
  • Using [Dimensions] (Calculated Field) in a thumbnail view shows "CIRCULAR: Dimensions" instead.
  • Media Server -- Allow us to select which fields are included, if I elimiinate Lyrics/Bios I can reduce the downlaod size by about 80% !!!
  • Full EXIF Parsing Support -- To allow custom field creation from these tags, as well.
  • On Duplicate checking, allow a "Selection~" tag so that I can select the Low Bitrate, or Smallest Filesize, or Oldest File, etc
  • A new version of the SlideShow plugin that works with V11 would be sweet !
  • Auto-Import Functionality (Use Media Scheduler to import basedon the new intelligent import wizard)
  • CD+G Support Plugin!
  • VOB Playback Support (if there is such, let me know)

Valissystem

• World Citizen
  • Muso on ice...
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 09:36:01 pm »

I'm getting some Z-Order issues here. If I select something in the left hand tree, on occasions I will see elements from an underneath window popping through. If this is a complex redraw (moving around from one section to another), the underneath window can completely be redrawn.

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 11:20:31 pm »

This version stole file association for a whole bunch of formats including: jpg and tiff, mpeg formats (all), ape, ogg, windows media formats (all)...  I never have any file formats associated with MC as I don't want it opening when I double click a file... especially with image files.

I used the quick install option when I upgraded.  Hopefully this isn't a new default.

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 02:53:51 am »

This version stole file association for a whole bunch of formats including: jpg and tiff, mpeg formats (all), ape, ogg, windows media formats (all)...  I never have any file formats associated with MC as I don't want it opening when I double click a file... especially with image files.

I used the quick install option when I upgraded.  Hopefully this isn't a new default.

This was the first build in a long time that asked me to set file-associations at install (I did not use quick install)
A day without laughing is a day without living

benrad

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 05:53:32 am »

I'm having problems with "Rename files From Properties." MC supposedly renames the files, and then they show up as broken links, and I have to re-import. This happened in build 53 too.

I can't read tooltips with any skin...it's light tan on a tan background. Any way to change that?

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 06:27:19 am »

Just downloaded MC11 but it feels very nice (especially considering its still in alpha)

Column autosizing doesnt seem logical. The grouped columns should be the thinnest, but because the text in the title is longer (because it includes the word "grouped") it ends up being the widest in my view scheme.

Would it be possble for media center to automatically switch between album gain and loose files replay gain, by reading whats in playing now periodically?

Q's : How often or in what circumstances does it auto import? When it says updating external changes, does it mean its writing database info to the file or file info to the database? I trust the database info more than whats in the file, so the former would be preferable.

How do you change the size of the tiles?
Is it possible for us to somehow change what MC considers an album (for images)? Maybe i dont want them all grouped by date taken.

Thats all for now.
Thanks,
Bri

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 10:32:16 am »

IMPORTING -- File 108 of 230 ...

THEN --

Summary, Search & update took 3:33 -- FOUND 31 New Files.

How did it find 31 new files when it was importing 230 of them ?

Monkeyboy

• World Citizen
  • I'm a Monkey
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 11:33:30 am »

I think this has only started happening recently, maybe .53.
If you go to highlight a few songs and while dragging go through the ratings fields of the songs the stars light up when you go over them and stay lit until you move the mouse.
Just a niggly thing but confused me for a second at first.
Rich

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 02:02:24 pm »

MC11 still not making tag and rename changes 'stick' at times.  
Tag file, import, rename from properties, refresh view and the files once again appear with yellow icons instead of blue and the tag changes reverted and did not stick.
After several attempts I went to the folder in windows and the files were still there, MC had not moved them as it was set to.
(Album Artist\Album\Album Artist - Album - Track # - Name)

EDIT: I think I now see what is happening, if I continue to refresh the folder, less and less tracks remain each time . . . .apparently as MC completes the tag changes.
So I suppose this is the correct behavior for it.
. . . the game is rigged

TAFKAFEX

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2004, 02:31:21 pm »

Overview of some of the key MC 11 improvements:
  • Animated Direct3D file browsing
Maybe my graphic card is not up to date (I would accept it). But I would like to be sure about this point before I buy a better one. Especially concerning the fact playing 'Doom 3' in an acceptable way with my actual one.

No images at all during 'animation' (in the first builds I saw least 7 or 8 of them, the rest was white on white like now?).

Graphics Engine NVIDIA GeForce 2 Ti GPU  
Model Name GeForce 2 Ti
Video Memory 64 MB
Core Clock 200 Mhz
Memory Clock 175 Mhz
Memory Access Speed 5 ns
AGP AGP2.0 (4x / 2x / 1x) Fast Writes
D-Sub Yes
DVI-I No
TV-Out Optional

Is it really outdated? (Software IS updated).

Thanks for your answer.

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2004, 03:24:00 pm »

I never use the quick install... and I don't think MC ever asked before taking the file associations.

PK_NYC

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2004, 03:37:51 pm »

In both .53 and .63 MC crashes when I am moving between Documents and Audio modes. Specifically, it goes into Documents mode fine, but crashes when I try to go back to Audio mode.

MC 11.0.63, XP Pro SP2, P4 2.8 Ghz, 512 RAM.

pedja

Omni

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2004, 04:14:59 pm »

I never use the quick install... and I don't think MC ever asked before taking the file associations.

Yeah, I can confirm this much to my regret.

And not to preach, but please be more careful and thorough in your QA testing in this area.  I never have one single application dedicated to all things, so when you go and steal all the associations, it's a timely and irksome effort to have to go and reconfigure my other fifteen applications to restore their associations.

I make this request because this has not been an uncommon occurrence in MC's development lifetime (MC 9, MC 9.1, MC 10, and now MC 11).

Thanks!

Topper

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2004, 04:30:25 pm »

MC 11 is forgetting the access settings when exiting and then re-starting the the program.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2004, 04:31:49 pm »

There was no intention to steal file associations.  It's probably a result of the changes we've made to allow multiple installs.  Make sure you set at least one file association.  Then MC won't make any changes.

Omni

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2004, 05:02:59 pm »

There was no intention to steal file associations.

Oh, I know, and I truly apologize if my message came across as if I thought you guys were doing this on purpose as part of some evil plot to rule the world.  :P ;D

I also concede that this "every-so-often" problem has only been in beta (pre-MC11) and alpha (MC11) builds, so I don't necessarily assert that you should even have QA process in place for these test builds.

Oh, well, never mind.  No one forcing me to download alpha builds, so the risk is my own I guess.  :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2004, 05:44:54 pm »

Just set the file associations once.  It should work after that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up