INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MD5 Master confusion  (Read 1424 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
MD5 Master confusion
« on: August 10, 2004, 07:09:42 am »

I am trying to organize my over 12,000 MP3's and after getting them in the right locations, am ready to get rid of duplicates. First, I wish it really would work like I read in another thread where I could link one file to multiple albums, but what the heck.

So I downloaded MD5 Master and on another computer which only has @2000 files, waited the hours for it to create the hashes. I then used the Search for "MD5TextHash,Duration". Great, there's exact duplicates with same length songs.

But according to KingSparta's web page, he recommends the binary hash as that will help with the difference in finding the same song but different lengths, something I saw quite a few of mine have. I assume then that I search for "MD5BinHash,Duration" but that brought up zero results.

Before I try to run MD5 Master on my large collection, what am I missing here?
Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re:MD5 Master confusion
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 04:02:46 pm »

MD5BinHash

no duration

then check to see if they are the same file, and if so the one that is longer may be the one you want to keep.

the plug-in does not use wave form detection so the same encoder would have been needed to have a match on the same recoding.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

dcwebman

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 09:21:27 am »

Still doesn't seem right. If I use "MD5TextHash", I get 279 files. If I use "MD5TextHash,Duration", I get 69 files. Now if I use "MD5BinHash" and I still get zero files. I can clearly see from the 69 file list that there are definite duplicates.

I took a look at the MD5BinHash from 2 duplicate files and they are different numbers so that's probably why they're not matching, but what exactly is being checked to create that number? The bitrates are the same and looking at the Summary from Windows Explorer, the Channels and Audio Sample Rate are the same.

The dates and track numbers in the MP3's are different. Would that create a different number?
Jeff

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 09:26:34 am »

as I said if it is another encoder, and if it is not a exact copy it will not match, and it does not use wave form to match.

it only checks the raw data, not the bit rate and all that.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up