INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newest Ipod chocked and died w/Media Center  (Read 2241 times)

Geo111

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Newest Ipod chocked and died w/Media Center
« on: August 10, 2004, 09:47:59 pm »

So - my girls old Ipod and my Nomad II were working just fine w/Media Center 10.  Then I plug this nice new 40 gb one in (had to go to the apple store in NYC to get it)  Thing looked good right out of box, charged MUCH faster then the old type and the interface was much cooler.  
MC frooze up, the little icon w/the folder and ! showed up...  no worries just updated the thing - whoops - wrong move - the updater was from the OLD ipod :(   Ok install NEW vile hated itunes just to get the newest updated and that all went fine.  Was able to get operating system back up...  
BUT - rather then leave well enough alone I try MC again.  Big mistake, looks ok, I drag a playlist in, eject and look for palylist on ipod - no playlist - plug it back in and it seems like it's there now... play music from device, and then freeze up and poof!  keeps trying to reboot aplle screen and then apple screen and so on - soon it will run out of juice.  I want to toss it - taking back is 39.90 restocking fee - or let them replace it - BUT it is such a cool device - though it may never work w/anything but Itunes- in fact the instructions tell you (I have read them now) as much - no other program will work w/new software UNLESS you bring it to itunes...  Seems like they are trying to lock up the world w/that crap.  

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re:Newest Ipod chocked and died w/Media Center
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 04:39:30 am »

I had (similar?) problems with a 4th Gen 40GB & MC.  The Apple store took it back & waived the restocking fee because they said my Tablet PC was the problem.  I did not think they were right, but appreciated the waiver.  It would be nice to be able to use MC with the new iPods.

Geo111

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 05:48:46 am »

did you tell them you used a program other then itunes when it fried?  I'm afraid, this being NYC, they will tell me to take a hike....

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 09:57:43 am »

Geo111,

Try running iTunes and be sure to turn off the auto connect to your iPod option. Then, if iPod is visible in MC, right click on iPod and select initialize and you should be all set. If iPod is not visible in MC, try to reformat your iPod either from within Windows or with Apple Updater. If you reformat with Windows, disconnect and reconnect your iPod. At this point, MC should see your iPod and recognize it as an iPod. Right click on the iPod drive letter from within MC and select the 'Initialize' option and then you should be good to go.

Steve

Geo111

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 10:04:08 am »

Thanks - tried that (not is same order).  Was able to update it once but after trying a 2nd time to make MC see it it crashed -  and the apple icon just kept coming round - spinning and spinning.  It was done got the error message from the ipod updater -  could not mount drive - - took it back and they exchanged it - now am thinking of not even tring it w/out using itunes - which is a real pity....

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 11:35:23 am »

I doubt MC could  have done anything to make iPod unfunctional.

Steve

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 08:28:32 pm »

No. I decided mentioning MC10 would not be helpful.

Steve-on my 40/4th itunes worked and  MC10 did not, though I did not keep it long enough to be a real test.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 08:38:10 pm »

I think that something else is going on with the new iPod's.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=23013

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 11:01:47 pm »

Has ANYBODY gotten the new 4th gen iPods to work with MC yet?  I was about to upgrade from a 3rd gen 30Gig, but I want to continue to use MC, so I'm waiting until it's actually confirmed that the new iPods are compatible with MC.

Thanks for any information on this,

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up