INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4th Gen iPod transfer is VERY slow....  (Read 4194 times)

smpetty

• Change this by choosing profile
4th Gen iPod transfer is VERY slow....
« on: August 11, 2004, 01:04:21 pm »

I've used MC 10 with 2 mini iPods, a 2nd gen iPod, and a 3rd gen iPod with never a problem.  On my 2nd and 3rd gen iPods (both 20GB) I can transfer 20 GB in 30 or so minutes.  My new 4th gen iPod arrived yesterday.  I had no problem initializing it in MC10.  But the transfer to this unit (a 40GB unit) is VERY slow - estimating 6+ hours to transfer 40GB.

Whoaa - while I was typing this MC10 stopped in the middle of a transfer (file 193 of 3875) with a small window with a red circle and an X in the circle, no text on the window, just an OK button.  I pushed OK, and the iPod and MC10 are frozen.

So.... I guess MC10 isn't yet compatible with the 4th gen iPods...  Any idea when this will be fixed?  I love MC and hate iTunes.  I'd be glad to beta test anything you want to try.

Thanks,

Scott

smpetty

Re:4th Gen iPod transfer is VERY slow....
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 01:24:15 pm »

I owe JRiver an apology.  After MC10 wouldn't work, I restored the iPod and tried iTune.  The transfers were much faster but the iPod and iTunes froze (4 seperate times, each after restores) after about 100MB of songs were transferred.  Maybe I have a bad iPod?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 01:34:09 pm »

Maybe I have a bad iPod?
That's the 3rd or 4th we've heard about.  Something's not right.

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 02:24:38 pm »

Eveyone,

Can others with 4th gen iPods post whether they are having success or failure with ...

1) iTunes only

2) MC  only

3) Switching between iTunes and MC.

Thanks,

Steve

micahmj11

• Junior Woodchuck
  • This is war peacock. Casualties are inevitable.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 04:14:10 pm »

I just upgraded from a 3G ipod to a 4G ipod yesterday.  I do not have iTunes installed, because I am very happy with Media Center 10.  I was disappointed to see that my upload speeds were consistantly under 2 Mbps.  I used to get much faster upload speeds with my 3G.

In addition, I cannot determine if Media Center supports the new savable On-The-Go Playlist feature included with 4G ipods.  On the new ipods, you can create multiple On-The-Go playlists and then save them with default names like playlist 1, playlist 2, etc.  Then, when you sync it in iTunes, the playlists are captured on your desktop and you can change the name there to something specific, which is then updated on your ipod the next time you sync.

When I sync to Media Center, it does not capture the new playlist information from the ipod, and after the sync, the new playlists have been deleted from the ipod.

Am I doing something wrong, or does Media Center not support this feature?

Thanks,
Micah

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 04:48:40 pm »

Micah,

MC does not currently support the capture of iPod On-The-Go playlists.

In regards to the upload speeds, could you try copying some files directly to your iPod via Windows Explorer (they won't be playable and you should delete them after the test) and check what speed you get? I will be surprised if it is faster than MC.

Thanks for the info.

Steve

smpetty

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 06:28:44 pm »

An important update -

I switched from using FireWire to USB2 (both are on my motherboard, an ASUS P4E).  It works perfectly now, both through iTunes and MC10!  Of course, I'll stick with MC10 - I'm getting transfer speeds between 4 and 5 MB/s, about what I used to get on my 3G iPod through FireWire.  Looks as though, for me anyway, FireWire is the problem - not MC10 or the iPod.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

Scott

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 06:50:59 pm »

Thanks for the update.  I've seen a lot of mysterious firewire problems on Apple's forum.  Some work, some don't.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 05:11:07 am »

An important update -

I switched from using FireWire to USB2 (both are on my motherboard, an ASUS P4E).  It works perfectly now, both through iTunes and MC10!  Of course, I'll stick with MC10 - I'm getting transfer speeds between 4 and 5 MB/s, about what I used to get on my 3G iPod through FireWire.  Looks as though, for me anyway, FireWire is the problem - not MC10 or the iPod.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

Scott

What kind of firewire card are you using?  Using USB2 isn't an option for me if I get a new iPod.

Thanks,

Larry

smpetty

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 01:28:50 pm »

It was on the motherboard (ASUS P4E) as is the USB2....  no card...

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 08:22:27 pm »

I had problems similar to Scott using U5B2  with a 4th Gen. 40 GB using MC 10. I was able to transfer songs with itunes, but returned the iPod because I prefer MC 10 and the red x seemed like a problem..

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 10:57:33 pm »

It was on the motherboard (ASUS P4E) as is the USB2....  no card...

Did you leave a letter out of that motherboard model?  I've never heard of an Asus "P4E" motherboard -- I believe there should be another letter between the 4 and the E.

That said, is this firewire 400 or 800?  I've read reports that SP2 drops the speed of firewire 800 devices to only 100mbps, which would seem to be in line with the speed estimates you quoted.  (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17794.)

Larry

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 11:59:45 pm »

I saw that Apple released a firmware update for the 4G iPod today that had to do with Firewire connectivity (particularly with VIA chipsets) as well as other things...

Best,
Brad

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2004, 12:46:20 am »

I saw that Apple released a firmware update for the 4G iPod today that had to do with Firewire connectivity (particularly with VIA chipsets) as well as other things...

Best,
Brad

I'd be real interested in hearing from anyone who was having trouble with this before.  Does this new update take care of the issues?

Thanks,

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up