INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple artists fields per song possible?  (Read 1755 times)

yorri

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Multiple artists fields per song possible?
« on: August 16, 2004, 07:20:11 pm »

Is there a way to put multiple artists for songs that are duets?  I hate putting ArtistName & ArtistName in the artist field when they should be in separate fields logically.

Just to clarify, I don't want to put multiple artists per album, I want to put multiple artists at the song level.

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
Re:Multiple artists fields per song possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 09:02:34 pm »

Welcome to Interact!   :)

If you go to Tools > Options > Tree & View and click the Add button, you can add a new field to the database and call it whatever you want ("Secondary Artist," for example). You can then put the other artist's name there. This is for MC10, not sure if the path is the same in 11.

Hope this helps!

crow

[EDIT: I checked, and it's the same for 11]
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

jimpmc

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 09:35:52 pm »

You can actually add "list" fields also, which allow for multiple entries within a field.  Add a field and change the data type to "list (semicolon delimited)".  This is what is used often for image fields like People where there may be more than one person in the picture, but it works just as well for music files as well.  

-J

yorri

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 12:59:19 am »

Well this is a step in the right direction.

I will try the list function because that might be a better solution.

I want to upgrade to a lossless format and it looks like ape format will give me what I need, just need a way to write the tags into file...although I wonder if it's necessary since I just want supreme control to make playlists...at least I can have multiple artists and featured artists (separate from artist) in the database...which as I said is a step in the right direction.

thank you for your help, greatly appreciated.

yorri

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 01:26:10 pm »

Ok so here is  my update...because I know everyone is dying to hear it :p

I was able to play around with the custom fields WHICH ARE COOL IMHO but I have no idea how to get this field INTO the track itself.  I am not sure whether this is all that important since I could probably use the search feature in addition to the fact that this new field can be organized alphabetically through clicking on the fields header.  

I have to say this is better than what other programs have giving me because is seems that every other program forces us into what tags they want to support (which is fine) but for formats that support vorbis comments, they are not as functional as they can be.

Someone suggested I use Foobar2000 which I did but the problem is that, now the field is in the file but foobar doesn't have the wonderful organizational features that media center has.

Now I need to find a way to combine the ability to add the data to the file itself so that programs like foobar can "see" it and programs like media center can read and write this data into the file.

I am sure there is a way...just don't know how yet.

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 05:12:08 pm »

I use a "list" field named "Artists" for this. I maintain the standard "Artist" field, which might read, "The Grateful Dead and Bob Dylan", but then I would also put "The Grateful Dead;Bob Dylan" into the "Artists" field. I keep both fields because "Artist" is a standard tag and other applications can't read MC's custom tags, but I pretty much use "Artists" exclusively in all my library views.

On a related note, I also use the "Album Artist" field, which represents the main artist of the album. For multi-artist albums like compilations, this might be the producer or collector of the album (several albums have "album artist"="Putumayo", for example). One example where all three of these tags might come in is in a techno or trance CD. The DJ who mixed the CD would be the "album artist", while the creator of each individual track would be the "artist" and "artists" value.
Pages: [1]   Go Up