INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD burn problems with 10.0  (Read 5901 times)

MGD_King

• Citizen of the Universe
  • It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
CD burn problems with 10.0
« on: August 17, 2004, 01:36:36 pm »

When burning audio CDs, tracks are not properly split. For instance, the end of track 1 has about 2 seconds of track 2 at the end, and then it plays back track 2. This problem gets worse after each track. By the time I reach the end of the CD, the 2nd to last track has 5 seconds of the very last track on it at the end. I've confirmed this with several CD players and it happens on every one.

Didn't this happen before? This sounds familiar.

Media Center Registered 10.0.161 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 2005 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 806 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: LITE-ON  LTR-52246S         Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Sauzee

Re:Media Center 10.0.161 Available
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 02:00:26 pm »

When burning audio CDs, tracks are not properly split. For instance, the end of track 1 has about 2 seconds of track 2 at the end, and then it plays back track 2. This problem gets worse after each track. By the time I reach the end of the CD, the 2nd to last track has 5 seconds of the very last track on it at the end. I've confirmed this with several CD players and it happens on every one.

Yep - several reports of this bug.  It gets "fixed" for a few builds and is back again.  Been happening since early v10 builds.

I love MC but I've given up on using it for burning CD's. It is just too buggy.

I would estimate that 10% of CD burns with MC have problems. Using Nero I have very few problems.  It's just a pain to have to use another program.

ChicoSelfs

Re:Media Center 10.0.161 Available
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 02:49:51 pm »

Yep - several reports of this bug.  It gets "fixed" for a few builds and is back again.  Been happening since early v10 builds.

I love MC but I've given up on using it for burning CD's. It is just too buggy.

I would estimate that 10% of CD burns with MC have problems. Using Nero I have very few problems.  It's just a pain to have to use another program.

I also have this problem
Made in Portugal

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:CD burn problems with 10.0
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 03:10:27 pm »

Can you tell us more that might help us duplicate the problem?

What types of files?  What were they encoded with?  CD burn settings?

Please copy your system info from MC Help and paste it here.

Thanks.

Sauzee

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 12:16:19 am »

I'm usually burning mp3's. Various encoders but often lame. CBR and VBR both have problems. Most of files not originally ripped with MC.

In every single case when MC has failed me, I've burnt exactly the same files with Nero with no problem.

Problems don't seem to be related to burn speed though they may be related to decode files directly to CD. Burning CD's without this setting takes ages so I do not use this setting.

I get the feeling that there is a fundamental flaw with MC's burning methodology as this bug is always being fixed and then re-appearing.

Media Center Registered 10.0.161 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 2004 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 785 MB, Free - 463 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive G: CD-RW   CDR-6S48          Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive H: ATAPI   DVD-ROM 16XMax    Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive Z: AXV     CD/DVD-ROM        Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive G: LITE-ON  CD-RW SOHR-5238S   Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive H: CD-RW    CDR-6S48           Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes

MGD_King

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 02:33:14 pm »

Can you tell us more that might help us duplicate the problem?

What types of files?  What were they encoded with?  CD burn settings?

Please copy your system info from MC Help and paste it here.

Thanks.

Jim,

I'm burning MP3 files encoded with MC. My system info is in the first post of this thread.

I notice no difference in the type of CD-Rs that I use, nor if it's set to direct decode or not. Also, it doesn't matter what speed I burn at, it still happens.

Thanks for the help!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 04:39:40 pm »

I get the feeling that there is a fundamental flaw with MC's burning methodology as this bug is always being fixed and then re-appearing.
That could also be a problem with the files you're burning.   Some good, some not.  Here's an example of a similar problem that turned out to be flaws in the tags:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=23060&start=0

Garbage in, garbage out.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 04:46:37 pm »

We made a change to the MP3 length analyzer a few builds ago to better handle some files.  It's possible that something else broke.

Any chance you could provide a few samples or a step-by-step for ripping some samples that do this? (encoder, settings, etc.)

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MGD_King

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 05:47:00 pm »

Any chance you could provide a few samples or a step-by-step for ripping some samples that do this? (encoder, settings, etc.)

Thanks.

Sure Matt. After installing MC on a clean Windows installation, using the default MC settings, I clicked on "Burn CD or DVD" in the AW, picked 10 tracks (all from the same ripped CD) and dropped them into the "Drop Files Here" AW, clicked burn and away it went.

I did the same process on different settings such as burn speed, decoding directly to CD, CD-Text writing enabled/disabled and used different MP3s for each process. Happens every time.

Sauzee

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 05:56:43 pm »

That could also be a problem with the files you're burning.   Some good, some not.  Here's an example of a similar problem that turned out to be flaws in the tags:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=23060&start=0

Garbage in, garbage out.

It's possible but unlikely because;

1.  I'm not the only one experiencing this

2.  Nero burns the same files perfectly everytime.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2004, 06:26:33 pm »

Nero may own the drive.  They've done it before.  You could try uninstalling it.

DougHamm

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 11:32:24 pm »

Hi guys - Jim, you asked in the official .53 thread if I could run some more test burns and it took me some time to dig up a CDRW to test with.  Using .63 tonight, I can confirm that, at minimum, files encoded as such:

- CBR 192kbps
- Stereo 44100KHz
- LAME 3.93
- With embedded lyrics and other metadata

...will add about a second of the following track per track boundary (i.e. it is progressively later with each song) - when using direct-to-CD encoding, CD-TEXT and no DSP effects enabled.

I can also confirm that all else equal, turning off Direct-to-CD encoding causes these track boundaries to be properly placed.

Further to this, I can confirm another disc containing files of this format:

- VBR ~160-200kbps
- Joint Stereo 44100KHz
- LAME (version unknown)
- With embedded lyrics and other metadata

...has been successfully burned using .53 with direct-to-CD enabled, with no boundary issue.

Lastly, I'll also go back to verify some recent CDs burned from .wma lossless (my codec of choice), but I'm pretty darned sure they too burned perfectly with direct-to-CD enabled.

I have no other burning software installed on tis computer, Nero or otherwise.  Over the next few days I'll try to do some experimenting with mp3s encoded in other versions of LAME, or Xing, etc..  At least turning off direct-to-CD is a satisfactory bypass in the meantime.

Thanks guys,

Info below:

==========  

Media Center Registered 11.0.63 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1920 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 649 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive G: JLMS    XJ-HD166S         Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive H: LITE-ON LTR-52246S        Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive I: Generic DVD-ROM           Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive H: LITE-ON  LTR-52246S         Addr: 2:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: No /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes

Sauzee

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 12:26:36 am »

DougHamm

Thanks for your tests. I use the same burn settings as you and get the same results!

Direct to CD encoding seems to be what causes the problems.  Like you I'm not clear on which files MC will burn correctly and which it won't.

Jim - I have in the past uninstalled Nero and it has NOT fixed the problem. In any case, I have never heard of Nero 6 causing the problems you mention. I do not install the InCD app which has been known to cause problems.

I'm not around for the next week so wish you well in getting to the bottom of this.  :D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 11:26:49 am »

Thanks for the details -- we can reproduce the problem with certain cbr mp3 files.

Look for a fix in a coming build.

Laffer

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2004, 02:47:00 pm »

I was going to find my original post (about this) but found this one instead.

Good news that it's going to be fixed (I can confirm that 10.0.161 still suffers from this problem, as JohnT asked from the other thread) and at least for me happens on every burn.

My MP3 collection has almost exclusively been ripped by MJ/MC, High quality VBR (>97% of the tracks I have).  

Lastly (as all who suffer from this probably know) turning off "Decode files directly to CD" gets around this problem - ie it does a burn with correct timings for the tracks.

Laffer.

Sauzee

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2004, 12:02:45 pm »

I've been away for a week. Any news on when the new build that fixes this is coming?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2004, 12:12:26 pm »

MC 11 has a new MP3 plugin that always gets the MP3 length sample-perfect and supports sample-perfect seeking.  This fixes the problem.

We'll roll the new plugin to MC 10 if no problems bubble up for a couple of weeks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up