INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Licence Restore Question  (Read 1526 times)

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Licence Restore Question
« on: August 30, 2004, 12:34:24 pm »

Hi all I have been using Media Center since MJ 7. and have fallen in love with every version after.  I have an image of my hard drive burned on dvd that I use to reinstall my system that is completely tweaked out just how I like my XP Pro. What I have noticed is that when I reload my image MC 10 looses it registration information so I have to restore the licence, which I don't mind. Also the last update also removed my registration. Has this happened to anyone? I am down to 2 restores left and I know with the nature of how I restore my system every few months or so that won't last for long.  So is there a way to keep my registration info in my image? If not what happen after the last restore is used? I'd hate to have to wait till 11 is released. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerly,
Josh Huggins  :)
Thanks!

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re:Licence Restore Question
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 12:47:26 pm »

Instead of  restoring the license info right away, wait  until your 30 day timeout is over.

How are you rebuilding the system? Ghost? Some other technique?

j

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 01:32:46 pm »

I'm using Drive Image 7 by Power Quest (pre symantec acquisition). I guess I could wait, but that would be kinda a bummer. I like to reload and be finished. It's a great system. My system is reloaded in about 7-10 mins, download the latest windows updates, reburn image and ready for the next go. Total about 20-30 mins. All my applications, settings and registry tweaks are just right ;) This has been to only real glitch with 10, MJ 8 and MC9 were fine witht the images and never lost their registration. I guess I'll just have to hold off restoring untill 11, but I don't know how long that could take. I totaly understand JRiver limiting the restore amount, but it would be nice to be able to maybe verifiy by entering the credit card number, that way they know you are not going to give that out. Has anyone been able to get MC restored after the 10th time. Looks like the forum is the only place for support huh?

Thanks for the reply.
Josh
Thanks!

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 01:55:04 pm »

Are you reburning before or after you install your license?

If you run out of restores, just post here. We may reset the counter for you, we've done it in the past.

j

edbro

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 02:06:46 pm »

Very strange. No matter what JRiver does to your registry or file system it should be exactly the same after loading the image. I do this all the time with no problems. I use Drive Image 2002 ( I hate ver7!).

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 02:13:51 pm »

The image has had it installed before the burn. I have also tried a complete remove and reinstall if MC (I think it was two versions back in the updates where it completely reinstalls) and reburned and restored later and  no luck.  The last update (past week or so) also required me to reinstall the licence. I'd like to do a full reinstall with SP2, but I don't want to loose MC. I use it all day, everyday. Don't know what I'd do with out it  :'(

Thanks again for the replys
Josh Huggins
Thanks!

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 02:24:39 pm »

Does Drive Image take the image from within Windows or is it done during a reboot?  Some problems are rather likely when imaging from within Windows... Files being in use, not being able to lock the partition, etc.

My suggestion would be to use a program that images the partition during a reboot or in its own "dos" environment (like BootIt NG).

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 02:32:52 pm »

It can do either, I have been doing it from windows, but it had been working for quite some time even with versions of 10. I'll try an image from it's restore enviroment and see if that works. It seems to have started loosing the licence from sometime in the spring. I can't really give a more acurate time sorry. I might have to look into Drive Image 2002 also, just never cared for symantics product line. Always seemed like they tried to take the controls away. I'm a control freak, that's why I love MC :D

Anyway maybe I will start trying 11's alpha version. I beta test for a CAD software company, & don't know if I could handle another application forum full of people who love another product, spending more precious sleeping time. Time will tell.

Josh Huggins
Thanks!

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 04:31:15 pm »

Well just saw that 11.0.72 was allowing licences and so I went an downloaded the upgrade, and installed, went through the licence upgrade and paid via paypal (very nice). So I guess I should be good for a while and maybe now is a good time to do a full reinstall w/ xp SP2 and try Drive image 2002, or whatever is the latest version. So off to the 11.0.72 thread and post the error I got after starting 11 for the first time, oy! Thanks again all and I have a feeling I'll be seeing you again.

Josh Huggins
Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up