INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server - Working Remotely  (Read 958 times)

chopdog

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Media Server - Working Remotely
« on: August 30, 2004, 05:04:52 am »

You may class this as a daft question. I have MC 10 on a server and a client. My server is left alone without a monitor etc... as it serves my Squeezebox et all.

I use Media Server on the server to allow my client - regular - PC to play music. Sometimes I come across spelling mistakes or incorrect data in my database, so I change it. When I go back in, the change hasn't copied to the server.

Now, I would think this is probably correct - but it seems a bit silly. Surely the point of the media server is to allow remote usage ? Would using network style addresses for the data location get around this ?

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re:Media Server - Working Remotely
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 10:48:29 am »

Media server does not yet support copying back of data.

j

paulr

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 01:17:36 pm »

This is something a lot of people want, and hopefully it will be added in a future version.

Currently, I think a lot of people are using a "remote control" program to accomplish this.  Something like TightVNC works well.

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 01:46:35 pm »

Is it not a feature of v11? Given that it is one of the most asked-for features and they've done a lot of work on the database this time, that would be a real shame  :'(

chopdog

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 02:36:29 pm »

Absolutely agreed.

Whilst we are on the subject of v11, I strongly recommend Squeezebox to anyone. The real shame is the lack of a plug in. I would rate it as second most important thing to the iPOD so far as actual real world userbility is concerned - but the lack of true integration with anything except of iTunes is a real pity. Their server manager is excellent though, and it handles lossless audio 100% perfectly. You can manage your server remotely quickly and simply.... which brings me back to the original topic....

Pages: [1]   Go Up