INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ogg Vorbis Encoder, is it accurate  (Read 2776 times)

jolo

• World Citizen
Ogg Vorbis Encoder, is it accurate
« on: September 07, 2004, 01:08:55 am »

I have read some items about the Ogg Vorbis encoder/patch, that it might not work accurately in MC 10.

What I mean by that is that if I use the command line and enter something like -q 7, that the command line will be ignored.

I also found this be seeing that the file size does not change when changing entries.

Does anyone know anything about this ?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Ogg Vorbis Encoder, is it accurate
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 09:28:33 am »

[...] if I use the command line and enter something like -q 7, that the command line will be ignored.

I also found this be seeing that the file size does not change when changing entries.

Does anyone know anything about this ? ...

I haven't seen this, but I am using a different encoder.  You can compare by downloading the appropriate GT3b2 OGG encoder from:
http://www.rarewares.org/ogg.html ...
and replace the existing oggenc.exe with the new one (... BUT not without somehow protecting the original by first renaming ...)

However, since you mention file sizes not changing depending on the 'q' argument, I will check mine as well ... but I am getting kbps and filesizes in accordance with -q 7.

hth  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

jolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 01:48:25 am »

shAf,

My Canadian friend.  

Could you break this down for an ignorant perfrom from Colorado in the states.

;)Please help me with a step by step install.

Which download did  you use? I have an AMD XP 2800 processor.
I want to use it with MC of course, but also with .APE. I would like to directly convert .APE to .Ogg.
I use XP.

I will use the .OGG to play in my Palm Tungsten T3 with the terrific Pocket Tunes. I just do a USB tranfer of my OOG files to load them and I just received my 512mb card today to double my flash. I am sure that Pocket Tunes on the PDA will handle it.

I wonder if I can load it into Nero as  well, but I won't be concerned about that now.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 04:14:59 am »

My unofficial instructions for Ogg Vorbis custom quality from -q 5 to - q 10:

Download the encoder: http://www.rarewares.org/quantumknot/oggenc-gt3b2.exe

Go to "your MC program folder"\Plugins folder and rename oggenc.exe to eggenc.exe.bak.

Rename oggenc-gt3b2.exe to eggenc.exe and put it in the plugins folder.

That's all.

If you like to use quality settings below 5 you will get better audio quality with this encoder version: http://www.rarewares.org/quantumknot/oggenc-aotuv.zip

Reasons for using different encoder versions are here:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15049

If you update MC later you should check the encoder. I am not sure if MC overwrites it.

I want to use it with MC of course, but also with .APE. I would like to directly convert .APE to .Ogg.
I think it is easiest to use MC for converting .ape files to .ogg. MC takes care of the tags and location/naming.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 06:10:30 am »

Alex B  and Shaf,

Both of you are the greatest. I greatly appreciate yoour expertise, patience and time. I am listening to one of my newly oog songs.

Some things, I never convert .mpe to .ogg, I was told that it would be too lossy.

If I can keep this up with .APE and .OOG with audio that I have backed up initially from a CD, it sounds GREAT. I do thinl that the format of .oog sounds fuller and more natural.

This also woould mean that I should re-encode my other OGGs, so they can take advantage of the new version.

I am going to be anxious to move some files to my Tungsten T3.

My SimpleTech 512mb I installed today and is great. This doubles my secure digital flash.  Use iTUNES to play my oogs there.

I think these instructions and string is a keeper, don't you think. Especially if you are committed to open source AND better sounding music at the same time. NO AUDIO FILES THAT START WITH "W".

Bless you,

Jon

shAf

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 10:38:45 am »

Alex B  and Shaf,

Both of you are the greatest. [...]

Glad to been of some help  :)

I can only add ... the hydrogenaudio.com forums are excellent for keeping up with the best encoders, digital audio tips and technology, and OGG has its own forum.  You should note the OGG encoders come in a variety of flavors ... and as Alex B alludes, some are for music quality (low kbps Q<5 versus CD quality Q>5) ... and some encoder versions are for specific CPUs (optimized for speed, not knowing if they have one specific to Athlon CPUs)

cheerios  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

jolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 11:21:39 pm »

shAF,

I am NOT disagreeing with you at all about the hydrogenaudio.com forums , but I would say not expect them at times to be as friendly and helpful as this forum is.

Sometimes I have found arguing over frequencies that cannot be heard by the human ear just to show who knows more.

While there is fantastic information and links there, I have found that sometimes, they can go off at times with pissy little arguments that can go on for pages and really non or all of them are correct and can complicate a bit.

BUT .... especially if you know some of their regulars who REALLY know their stuff it is a help getting through some of it. They will have the most up to date info though.

shAF, am I explaining myself well on what I am trying to say?  

Thanks again,

Jon
Pages: [1]   Go Up