INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which player for me???  (Read 4665 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
Which player for me???
« on: September 07, 2004, 05:38:32 pm »

I assume this has been asked before, but the search doesn't work very good for me, so here goes...

I am planning on leaving to do some extensive travelling (many years), and need a polayer to take with me.

I would like (and realize I will have to compromize in some areas), in no particular order...
lotsa storage (30gb+)
easy to use with one hand (will often be on a motorcycle)
ability to use smartlists/playlists
easily rate songs (which will eventually transfer back to MC)
small
long battery life (might be able to rig a power supply to the bike?)
prefer to use aac format for smaller - good quality sound (but not necessary)
reasonably priced
definately want gapless playback option for some genres
Other than that, I can't think of anything right now.

Don't need any radio functionality (can live with it, but don't need it outside US)

Anyone have any opinions/suggestions?

Thanks
pretend this is something funny

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
Re:Which player for me???
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 07:49:55 am »

This might be a possibility for you:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Creative_Zen_Touch__20GB_/4505-6490_7-30907933.html?tag=tab

lotsa storage (30gb+)    -   Almost, 20 gig
easy to use with one hand (will often be on a motorcycle)  - Looks like this might work
ability to use smartlists/playlists - Not sure
easily rate songs (which will eventually transfer back to MC) - not sure
small - not as small as an ipod
long battery life (might be able to rig a power supply to the bike?) - this looks like the best feature of this player for you
prefer to use aac format for smaller - good quality sound (but not necessary) - not sure
reasonably priced - Yes
definately want gapless playback option for some genres - Not sure

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 12:49:04 pm »

Thanks for the pointer.  It looks interresting.  I really think I will need at least 30gb, and probably 40.  I have about 150 gb of music now, but most of it is stored as apes, so i'm sure it'll condense nicely.  I'll still have to pick only the best stuff, but I'm sure even that'll be more than 20 gb.

I really would like gapless playback.  I usually just listen to random music, and the crossfade/gapless really helps remove the distraction of song changes (unless I listen as a whole album - then I turn it off)

Please keep the ideas coming.

Anyone already have anything that seems to fulfill some/most of my want list, that they can recommend?

Thanks again.

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 07:29:59 pm »

There are only a few portables that support gapless, I don't remember what they are.  Are you travelling with a laptop (for backup?)  If not, and your player's HD crashes (it does happen) you could be hosed.  You might want to consider a 2.5" disk based player (like the Creative Zen Xtra, up to 60GB stock (which holds 10,000 high-quality mp3s), but you can replace the disk yourself with an 80GB) and clone the HD to a backup drive that travels with you.  

I know at present you can't transfer playlists you create on the Zen to MC.  The Zen has no rating capability either.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 10:10:49 am »

Thanks for the input.  Do you know if the Zen supports gapless?  How much would a small 80gb replacement drive run me?

Also, how is the Zen on battery life?

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 12:00:27 pm »

No gapless.  I think people are getting 7-9 hours?  The battery is replaceable, so you can carry extras.  Check newegg.com for prices on drives.  I think you will need a 4200 rpm drive to avoid problems.  Check nomadness.net Zen forum for more information about drive replacement.  Nomadness.net is probably the best place for information about the Creative portables.

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 12:48:10 pm »

I'd go for the 4G 40GB iPod.  You can get a Belkin Auto Kit to run it off a cigarette lighter, or some people have even hard-wired them.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 01:18:09 pm »

Yeah, that's the way I'm leaning.  I was just hoping someone would have a better solution.  I will porbably not buy for a few weeks, so I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the input everyone.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004, 03:43:40 pm »

Just to let you know, the iPod doesn't play any formats gapless -- not even formats that are "normally" gapless like wav.

Other than this, I like the iPod, but I really wish someone at Apple was actually a music lover since this has become a ridiculous shortcoming -- i.e. there is no practical reason not to support at least SOME form of gapless playback these days.  Other companies can do it, so a mega-company like Apple, which sells more handhelds than anyone else, certainly can.

Larry

hans-jürgen

• Recent member
  • "128 kbps should be enough for everyone..."
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 05:43:06 am »

Some of the newer iRiver models are said to be able to play gapless MP3 and Ogg Vorbis files, but I can't name them. Try search on the Hydrogenaudio forum...
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen
BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ - "That lil' ol' ZZ Top cover band from Hamburg..."
INDIGO ROCKS - "Down home rockin' blues."

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2004, 09:32:40 am »

I ride a motorcycle also.  I'm happy with my 20GB ipod.  I use a pair of Sony earbuds and run the wire for those and the ipod's remote control down my right sleeve.  The remote clips onto the wrist adjustment strap on my jacket.  I set up a few playlists on the device and then I have the opportunity to change that at my next gas stop if my mood changes.
The remote allows me to skip a song or adjust the volume while riding without taking my attention off the road too much.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2004, 10:24:33 am »

I ride a motorcycle also.  I'm happy with my 20GB ipod.  I use a pair of Sony earbuds and run the wire for those and the ipod's remote control down my right sleeve.  The remote clips onto the wrist adjustment strap on my jacket.  I set up a few playlists on the device and then I have the opportunity to change that at my next gas stop if my mood changes.
The remote allows me to skip a song or adjust the volume while riding without taking my attention off the road too much.

Good ideas.  Is that the remote and headphones option they sell with the iPod?

I went to Pittsburgh over the weekend, and had a chance to go into an Apple store and check out an iPod up close and personal.  VERY NICE!!  I really liked it.  I wish it offered gapless playback (or crossfade as long as I'm wishing), but oh well.  I think it's too nice not to get one.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone.  Looks like iPod gets my $$$ this time.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2004, 12:18:15 pm »

Yes.  My ipod came with both though, but they do sell it separate.  I give the wife the ipod headphones though.  I prefer the sony earbuds as the rubber part helps keep them in my ears and seals out the wind noise.  The apple earbuds tend to slide out of place when I put the helmet on.  The remote is worth it though for adjusting volume to speed and outside noise conditions and for pausing during gas stops.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2004, 01:09:00 pm »

Can you use the sony earbuds with the remote.  I called an Apple store and he said my only option of having a remote to use with my own headphones was a wireless one they sell for $50.  Too much, I think.

I'm leaning now towards just skipping the remote/headphones all together.  I'll just have to learn how to do it by 'touch'

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2004, 07:36:09 pm »

Can you use the sony earbuds with the remote.

You can use ANY headphones or earbuds with the remote.  Headphones that have a different size plug will need an adaptor, but the remote uses the same 1/8" mini stereo jack that is standard on these units.

I called an Apple store and he said my only option of having a remote to use with my own headphones was a wireless one they sell for $50.  Too much, I think.

Either I'm misunderstanding your question, or they were.  The remote is simply an extension.  It has the same, standard 1/8" mini stereo jack that the iPod has -- it's just wired straight through.  If you can use a pair of headphones with the iPod, you can use them with the remote.

On a side note, the amp in the iPod is very average, so if you use headphones, you could do much better with a dedicated headphone amp.  With earbuds, it might not matter.

Larry

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2004, 09:21:10 am »

It sounds like they might not have either understood, or just didn't know.

From what you're telling me, the remote basically has a male end AND a female end, so it can just sit in between the iPod and the headphones (any 1/4" headphone jack)

Is that right?

They made it seem like it was 'hardwired' together with their headphones, not actually 2 seperate items.

I ordered the headphones/remote for my roommate, so I guess I'll find out soon enough.  I wish I had known this BEFORE I ordered, I would have got myself a set too (assuming I'm correct above).

Thanks again for the help everyone.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2004, 05:44:20 pm »

From what you're telling me, the remote basically has a male end AND a female end, so it can just sit in between the iPod and the headphones (any 1/4" headphone jack)

Is that right?

Exactly -- except that the jack and plug are 1/8", not 1/4".  The remote has a female jack on it that the headphones plug into on one side.  The other side has a 2 foot cable sticking out sticking out of it that terminates in an 1/8" male plug.  Think of it as a headphone "extender" that also has a few buttons on it for controlling the iPod.  The jack on the remote is the same as the jack on the iPod itself.

They made it seem like it was 'hardwired' together with their headphones, not actually 2 seperate items.

It's definitely two seperate items.

Larry

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2004, 10:22:18 pm »

Excellent news.  At least now I have a better option.

Thanks for the update!

Apple just informed me tonight that they are processing my order.  Don't know that means anything, but it's all I got.

BOBtheBuilder

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2004, 10:56:50 pm »

I'm wondering why you are all saying ipod doesnt have crossfade?  Maybe I'm wrong and it doesn't but it seems like it would.  iTunes supports crossfade.  I used to have an iPod but it got stolen as a result of being really high.  I just got out of rehab and I'm clean so I'm going to get another one, probobly an ipod photo, and this time I won't leave it anywhere.  I was just wondering if the case is that the iPod doesn't support crossfade but iTunes does?  Also if it does, then can't you just set crossfade to 0 seconds in iTunes and that's the same as gapless?  I might sound dumb so go easy.
And that's the way the cookie crumbles
                     BOBtheBuilder

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2004, 03:57:12 am »

3rd generation iPods don't support crossfades, and they don't play ANY formats without gaps -- not even formats that are gapless when played on the PC (like wave files.)  I realize that iTunes supports crossfades, but the iPod's capabilities are completely seperate from those of iTunes.

Larry

SteveG

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2004, 10:05:18 am »

Larry,

Thanks for your post and knowledge.

Steve

BOBtheBuilder

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2004, 04:27:03 pm »

Does the fourth generation iPod support crossfade?  If not, do any of them (ipod photo, prolly not mini I'm guessing)?
And that's the way the cookie crumbles
                     BOBtheBuilder

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2004, 04:44:57 pm »

Does the fourth generation iPod support crossfade?  If not, do any of them (ipod photo, prolly not mini I'm guessing)?

It would seem that the 4th gen don't offer crossfades either.  I don't have one, but I've seen plenty of posts in iPod forums from people complaining about the lack of gapless playback with the newest iPods, along with the lack of crossfade capability.  People have been complaining about this since the first generation of iPods, and apple clearly could have implemented it by now (other players DO offer gapless playback, but I'm not sure about crossfades.)

If this bothers anyone (as it bothers me) there is a petition to add gapless playback to iPods here:  http://www.petitiononline.com/13421509/petition.html

I have no affiliation with this petition -- I saw the link through www.ipodlounge.com.

Steve,

You're quite welcome.

Larry

meehawl

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2004, 08:55:25 pm »

easy to use with one hand (will often be on a motorcycle)

The Archos with Rockbox does have one cool hands-free feature that I've not seen on any other player: talking menus and playlist prompts. You can have it speak the menu options as you select them, and also speak back the names of playlists and songs.

Good for blind users, or people who have to keep their eyes on the road.

Rockbox is being ported to some of the iRiver hardware, so that might make it easier to find a player that supports it.

http://www.rockbox.org/
Irish guy in San Francisco
Pages: [1]   Go Up