INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: View scheme edit, drag and drop & contextual menu  (Read 1669 times)

CDvd

• World Citizen
View scheme edit, drag and drop & contextual menu
« on: September 08, 2004, 01:12:38 am »

I would like to be able to change position of View Scheme's headers (Like in details view list headers in Playing now)
an image worth thousand words? so there're 3 :

Click

Drag

and Drop

Why?
- It's more intuitive
- It's simpler (that opening the view scheme configuration, clicking item, then clicking again up and down....)
- It's faster (1 click this way VS a minimum of 5 clicks the classic one)

- When tagging new shots, choosing a correct position for items will allow you tag a LOT faster (it will be long to explain, but if you're used to tag photos you know what I mean)
- Same thing for searching in thousands of tagged shots.

I would really enjoy such an addition... so please consider it 8)
Does it make sense for others?

(I hope the screen-shots aren't anoying, they're only 16ko each)
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Feature request : View scheme headers and drag and drop
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 09:01:53 am »

We used to allow view schemes to be customized in-place or with a popup dialog.  It led to a lot of confusion because people wouldn't find the dialog.

Is there any way we could make the 'Edit View Scheme' dialog easier to use?

Thanks CDvd.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

CDvd

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 09:47:11 am »

A view scheme in MC is a little bite complex, make it really easy to use and understand is not... well... easy!

If it was up to me, I would make customization of view's items outside the 'Edit view Scheme' dialog. This dialog would be simpler.

I could have more ideas about ways to make the edition of view schemes simpler, just let me think about that. If something comes, I'll post.

David.
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

skeeterfood

• Citizen of the Universe
  • We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 02:16:01 pm »

We used to allow view schemes to be customized in-place or with a popup dialog.  It led to a lot of confusion because people wouldn't find the dialog.

Is there any way we could make the 'Edit View Scheme' dialog easier to use?

Thanks CDvd.

The 'Edit View Scheme' dialog is just fine in my opinion, but I think you should still be able to drag and drop columns in the panes to re-order them.  If you want to customize them more than re-ordering, it's fine with me that you have to use the dialog...

-John

CDvd

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 02:52:54 pm »

The 'Edit View Scheme' dialog is just fine in my opinion, but I think you should still be able to drag and drop columns in the panes to re-order them.
We agree for the drag'n drop thing.

If you want to customize them more than re-ordering, it's fine with me that you have to use the dialog...
And what about having 2 ways for adding/removing view items?

The classic one could be usefull when creating a View Scheme . The second one could give a better access and a better visibility on how to do modifications on view scheme contents.  It's certainly not a big priority but could save time for people who like to add/remove a field to view schemes to fit their will.

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 03:12:32 pm »

The 'Edit View Scheme' dialog is just fine in my opinion, but I think you should still be able to drag and drop columns in the panes to re-order them.  If you want to customize them more than re-ordering, it's fine with me that you have to use the dialog...

-John

I agree. This seems like it would be the right balance of options.  Maybe the column drag and drops could be temporary and if you leave them that way and click on a different view scheme, MC could ask you if you want to save the changes to the current view scheme.
Pages: [1]   Go Up