INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Customize Start Page  (Read 1867 times)

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Feature Request: Customize Start Page
« on: September 08, 2004, 06:29:54 pm »

I remember we used to be able to use our own customized start page.  I don't remember when this went away, but MC11 now looks to the internet every time it loads.

Can we please go back to letting us customize the start page with our own index.htm?  I even notice that the "Data\Default InetPage" folder holds what looks like to be a copy of the dynamic web page.

If the problem is that you're counting how many hits to the start page, perhaps you can have the default index.htm redirect to www.musicex.com.

Now that we can view webpages in Theater View, it sure would be nice to be able to do the same in Standard View.  :-)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Feature Request: Customize Start Page
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 07:37:54 pm »

It's been that way for around 6 months and it's what other players do.  It's not something we expect to change.

Can you get a new modem?

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 07:49:18 pm »

It's been that way for around 6 months and it's what other players do.  It's not something we expect to change.

Can you get a new modem?

I'm straining my brain trying to find the humor in the question...  but it's proving elusive!  ?  Why should I get a new modem?

Given my often-revealed nature of curiosity, might I inquire (well...  I *am* inquiring...  might I get an answer?) why you couldn't give us the best of both worlds?  Make the default redirect and let those of us who want it to customize.

I've thought of using a proxy to get around this.  I once played with Squid (http://www.squid-cache.org/) and I know it will work, but it's a bit of overkill.  Maybe someone knows of a lightweight proxy or utility that will redirect URLs locally?

P.S.  "It's what other players do" sounds like what my son always tells me!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 07:52:56 pm »

Can you get a new modem?

I'm straining my brain trying to find the humor in the question...  but it's proving elusive!  ?  Why should I get a new modem?
They are a lot faster than the old ones.

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 08:01:20 pm »

Can you get a new modem?

They are a lot faster than the old ones.

Ahhh...  there's the rub:  I wasn't worried about the speed!  My reason is this:  I find myself in MC an awful lot (which doesn't help me in the productivity arena!) and it'd be nice to be able to use MC as a sort of portal.

But I wonder...  someone else asked about opening up URLs inside MC (imjustagamer's eternal "**Can we be able to view www.last.fm from within MC. This is for the AudioScrobbler Plugin.")  Perhaps this would be a way to kill two birds with one stone.   If we can store URLs in the MC library (which I think we can...  it's nothing more than web media, right?), why not let us "play" the URLs?

Valissystem

• World Citizen
  • Muso on ice...
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 08:14:57 pm »

For what it's worth as I am reasonably often unconnected when starting MC I have it default to starting in "Playing Now" which means I avoid the annoyance of being told "server not found"

NaTeDoGG

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 03:06:20 pm »

I agree it would be nice to be able to change the default start page.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 03:08:50 pm »

I agree it would be nice to be able to change the default start page.
This isn't going to change.

Valissystem's suggestion is a good one.

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 04:24:47 pm »

This isn't going to change.

Valissystem's suggestion is a good one.

Valissystem's suggestion doesn't solve the problem.

What about my suggestion:
But I wonder...  someone else asked about opening up URLs inside MC (imjustagamer's eternal "**Can we be able to view www.last.fm from within MC. This is for the AudioScrobbler Plugin.")  Perhaps this would be a way to kill two birds with one stone.  If we can store URLs in the MC library (which I think we can...  it's nothing more than web media, right?), why not let us "play" the URLs?

NaTeDoGG

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 08:01:18 pm »

Hmm, this makes me curious as to why you feel so strongly about the start page? I didn't think it was much of an issue. I'll have to take a closer look at what is actually on it. To tell you the truth I saw a webpage that I didn't put there and assumed that nothing on it was of use to me. Soon after I made it start on Audio mode.

I suppose we could always change the hosts file to trick it into thinking its opening the musicex.com's page...  ;):D

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2004, 10:36:56 am »

Bump.

What about my suggestion:
But I wonder...  someone else asked about opening up URLs inside MC (imjustagamer's eternal "**Can we be able to view www.last.fm from within MC. This is for the AudioScrobbler Plugin.")  Perhaps this would be a way to kill two birds with one stone.  If we can store URLs in the MC library (which I think we can...  it's nothing more than web media, right?), why not let us "play" the URLs?
Pages: [1]   Go Up