INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: please update media center library  (Read 1142 times)

aoty

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
please update media center library
« on: September 14, 2004, 05:28:34 pm »

I run media server on my computer and share my MC library with my wife's computer on our home network.  It works well except while I'm web browsing, a popup window appears that says "please update media center library."  Hitting "ok" makes the window disappear, but it always comes back.  What is this, and how do I make it go away without disabling the media server?

Shadowen

• World Citizen
  • He was but a shadow of his former self...
Re:"please update media center library" huh?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 05:42:38 pm »

I had a problem like this....check to make sure you don't have anything redirecting your internet traffic on port 80.  In my case there were some entries in the local host file that was causing specific addresses to go to localhost (which was running Media Server) and Media Server in turn could not interpret the traffic.

Shadowen

aoty

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re:please update media center library
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 08:03:32 pm »

That was the problem!  I was using a rather modified hosts file to block http adverts and popups.  I wasn't sure which entry was causing the problem, so I just went back to the vanilla hosts file, and the MC server problem disappeared.  I can rely on Firefox + Adblock to take up the slack, luckily.  

Thanks for your help!

MaxS

Noob and Re: please update media center library
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 10:47:36 am »

Hi,
I am having this same problem, plus, whenever I reboot my system and try to access the web via any browser etc., I have to log on the server before I can surf.

I was going to turn off the security feature in Server, but I can't get back into it...if I try to FILE > LIBRARY > LOCATE SERVER , I just get "Server is already running) and for some reason, since it starts at bootup (I guess), there is no sys tray icon for the server, so I can't get in to adjust security or even turn the server off.  I'm thinking that this would stop me from having to 'log on' just for general non MC surfing.

I also get the 'please update media center library' and alerts about missing images etc. all the time...how do I edit the local host file and/or find out what apps are using port 80?

Thanks for any help,

Max

MaxS

Re: please update media center library
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 12:07:45 pm »

okay, I managed to get the security turned off, so now I don't have to log in, but the 'update media center library' issue persists.

I guess I still need to figure out how to edit the local host file?

Thanks,
Max
Pages: [1]   Go Up