INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to use MJ with HTPC?  (Read 1065 times)

jcmccorm

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Best way to use MJ with HTPC?
« on: November 05, 2002, 04:13:24 am »

First post here guys, be gentle. Apologies if this has been discussed before.

I'd like to be able to run MJ on my HTPC without having to fire up the projector that acts as it's only display device. Is there a good way to run MJ remotely? (I'd like to be able to choose tracks to play etc).

Right now I'm using a nearby laptop with VNC loaded which gives me a window with the HTPCs desktop on it. This works, but poorly.

Thanks in advance.

Cary

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Best way to use MJ with HTPC?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2002, 04:25:16 am »

Hi Cary,

I use MJ for all my TV, music, DVD's and images through a TV.  It works like a treat.

My solution is a Sony universal remote, an IRMan, and Girder.  I use 0-9 on my remote for my favorite playlists.  Everything else is done through the emerging "HairStyle" full-screen interface in version 9.

You can also use a wireless PocketPC if you want to do fancier stuff.  For that, check out Net Remote and Glissando in the plugins section.

Let us know how you make out.

And welcome to Interact :)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2002, 04:26:18 am »

Check the webremote plug-in and the threads on NetRemote and Glissando.  These allow "remote" control of the PC from other devices.

There are several versions of webremote right now.  The basic version is on our plug-ins page.

For Glissando and NetRemote, there is a "Third party plugin" board here.  Click on "Boards" above.  They each use their own version of webremote.

jcmccorm

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2002, 05:44:28 am »

Thanks guys!

Matt, I don't think this will work for me as I want to control the HTPC with no display device attached to it (I *could* use a TV I suppose but that sounds like a major headache to support my wierd resolution of 1080x600 for the projector and NTSC at the same time).

Jim, webremote sounds like what I need since I do have a laptop that's networked (wireless). Does this let me drive MJ through HTML? Choose tracks etc? Thanks, I've got more reading to do....

Cary

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2002, 05:55:48 am »

Thanks guys!

Jim, webremote sounds like what I need since I do have a laptop that's networked (wireless). Does this let me drive MJ through HTML? Choose tracks etc?

Yes.  Exactly.  It's very basic.  The other two programs are much more elegant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up