INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What to connect TV and Stereo to Network?  (Read 1100 times)

netdog

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
What to connect TV and Stereo to Network?
« on: September 20, 2004, 03:14:28 pm »

Here is the layout...

The server is in the office, the adsl modem/router in the living room with the tv/stereo and laptop, which I want to use to select what is shown on the TV and played through the hifi.

The ADSL is obviously jacked into the wall.  The server and laptop speak wirelessly through the modem/router.

What sort of wireless device do I need for my TV and HiFi in the UK?  Obviously, I also want to connect these through the G-Router/Modem as I want to control things from the laptop, but do not want the system to depend on the presence of the laptop.

So exciting to be almost there.

Michel Lefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
Re:What to connect TV and Stereo to Network?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 04:43:06 pm »

Does your laptop have a video out jack? If so, just connect the video out (Yellow RCA connector to the video in jack on your TV, or better yet if your Hi-fii has it, the video in jack on your receiver.

Then connect the audio out of your laptop to your aux input on your receiver.

That's what I used to do when I had a laptop and it worked very well.

Michel.

netdog

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 05:06:20 pm »

I want to avoid using wires.

The files are on the server in the 2nd BR, connected to the router/modem via wireless G.  The TV and Stereo are in the LR and need to be connected.  The ADSL Modem/Router with Wireless G, which is, in a sense, the hub, is in the LR, as is the lattop, which is also connected via Wireless G to the hub.

Is there a wireless device that will connect the TV (Sky + connected to a Sony 30") and a HiFi with the standard connections?

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 09:41:23 pm »

Is there a wireless device that will connect the TV (Sky + connected to a Sony 30") and a HiFi with the standard connections?

Why not just put a small-form-factor (SFF) computer next to your TV/HiFi?  You could get one with an 802.11g NIC, S-video Out, and 5.1 surround sound.

But be warned:  doing video via WiFi can be problematic because there is no QOS (quality of service) which prioritizes the various demands on bandwidth.  But it should work fairly well for you if you don't have too much else going on at the time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up