INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Artist" vs. "Album Artist"  (Read 2583 times)

noborg

• Junior Woodchuck
"Artist" vs. "Album Artist"
« on: November 04, 2002, 03:40:38 pm »

Seems that MJ 8 (8.0.388) doesn't keep Artist and "Album Artist" straight.   If I enter something for "Album Artist" that seems to override the "Artist" attribute in the Media Library Artist/Album view.  

For that matter, why doesn't "Album Artist" appear as one of the columns in the content pane?

I ran into this because I need to distinguish (for example) J.S. Bach played by various individuals or orchestras.  

In that connection, what's the best way to achieve a view that has Age/Artist or Age/Album Artist, where Age is either "modern" or "classical"?   Perhaps by using one of the Custom fields to store "modern" vs. "classical"?

Thanks

js

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: "Artist" vs. "Album Artist"
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2002, 03:48:24 pm »

MJ does, in fact, know the difference between "album artist" and "artist" fields. If you'll notice when you go to the edit screen of the default Artist/Album view scheme, it actually is set up to use Album Artist/Album. This is because MJ is made to display "Artist" in place of "Album Artist" if an "Album Artist" is not found. Otherwise, you'll get your album artist displayed.

And yes, all you'll have to do is set one of your custom fields to "Age" and then tag your files appropriately with "modern" or "classical". Then use Age/Album Artist for a view scheme which will display the album artist for the ones that have it and just the artist for ones that don't.

noborg

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: "Artist" vs. "Album Artist"
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2002, 03:56:56 pm »

Thanks hoehater.   The default use of Album Artist for Artist is odd, but now I know.

Why is it that "Album Artist" doesn't appear to be an optional column in the content pane?

js
Pages: [1]   Go Up