INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11 leaving empty folders  (Read 1444 times)

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
MC 11 leaving empty folders
« on: September 22, 2004, 07:16:01 pm »

SOMETIMES MC11 has been leaving empty folders on my hard drive. This occurs after using "Rename files from Properties" where there is a folder template included thus moving the files.

I have checked the folders in Windows and verified that these in fact had NO Files within them, either hidden or otherwise. Neither the empty folder or it's parent are Read-Only.

I can find no apparent reason as to why this occurs when it does, . . . . . although I have had cases where after I had manually deleted the empty folder and renamed/moved another group of files, MC asked me 3 times in a row if I wanted to remove empty folders.  Could this have been MC trying to remove all the empties in a delayed-reaction mode?
. . . the game is rigged

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re:MC 11 leaving empty folders
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 07:26:08 pm »

I have seen this Too
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 08:14:46 pm »

Tagging happens in the background.

It only asks about empty folders once there are no files to tag in the queue.  This could be a while after the last change was made.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

NaTeDoGG

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 08:34:10 pm »

It usually asks me twice if I would like it to remove folders. Thought that strange.

I never want any empty folders, so an option for that would be nice. Also would be nice to be able to point it to a directory and have it delete all empty subfolders it finds.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 09:39:33 am »

Tagging happens in the background.

It only asks about empty folders once there are no files to tag in the queue.  This could be a while after the last change was made.

This is still occuring, and yes the folders are still there long after MC reports that the tag changes are completed.

BTW, this does not seem to occur when deleting the entire contents of a folder, only when moving the files through a rename from properties.
. . . the game is rigged

CDvd

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 02:02:15 am »

I've seen this problem before too (when moving pictures).

It could be caused by the thumbs.db (image thumbnail cache file) that windows creates when you look at images (thumbnails) within explorer. These hidden system files make MC consider folders are not empty.
MC asks me to delete folders when I don't use the thumbnail view in explorer for them.
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 11:19:55 am »

I didn't get a "do you want to remove empty folder" message when using the "rename files from tags" command today using version MC 11 90. Folders still on HDD.

First time it's happened to me.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up