INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server Client Rights....  (Read 1369 times)

jesseasi

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Media Server Client Rights....
« on: September 23, 2004, 01:55:47 am »

I have about 400gb of music that I have spent hundreds of hours naming and ripping and sorting to the exact format I want.

I am interested in sharing this music with other computers in my home using the Media Server / Client setup.  

I want to know what rights the clients would have.  Can they rename files, change id tags, or so help me god .... delete music from the Media Server?

The ideal situation would be that the client can only play and browse music on the Media Server.

Anyone know the exact way this works?  Are there any other alternatives?

ppruitt

• Recent member
  • So little to say...
Re:Media Server Client Rights....
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 02:45:36 am »

At this point, the client works exactly in the way that you'd want.  There are some (myself included), however, who would like to see a variety of rights for the client depending on user, including the ability to rename tags and create playlists.

- Peter

jesseasi

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 02:55:45 am »

Great, after you message I thought I would give it a try.

Seems like when you have a client session open, you can rename tags, delete songs, etc etc, - but when you close the session and reopen it again - all the changes revert back.

This is what I was hoping for.

For those of you that are looking for the opposite of this where the client has full access....I have found my own workaround.

1. On the server I have a drive partitioned and assigned the drive letter M.  All my music and libraries are stored here.
2. On the client machines, I have mapped a the M drive from the server as M drive on the client.

I have found that when you point everything to the M drive, you can manage your music files from any machine setup this way.  However all the changes you make are only saved when you exit Media Center.  

So if you are making changes from machine/client A, and before closing MC, you open up another MC session on machine/client B, the Media Center that is closed LAST will save the settings.

I don't know if that makes any sense or not.

This setup has worked great for me as I have all my music stored on a file server.

salsbst1

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 06:54:22 am »

It has been stated that this practice may result in library corruption.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 09:06:57 am »

It can corrupt the library if both try to write at the same time.

j

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 12:12:52 am »

Corrupt the whole library?  Unrecoverable?  Or maybe lost just the file in question?  Anyone know?
pretend this is something funny

jesseasi

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 12:26:41 am »

I have been doing this now for about 5 months without any problems.  I have deleted my library files and restarted everything all over.

When I import all my music it seems to recover all the information from the ID Tags stored.  Even the album covers come up automatically.

I am not sure how MC remembers or stores all the library information.

The only thing that does not ever seem to be consistant is the ratings I assign to songs.  Maybe this is what people are referring to.

Can anyone elbarate on how MC stores the ratings for each song?  PS - ALL my music is in APE format.  I don't know if this helps.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up