INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zone Sync Consistency  (Read 1459 times)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Zone Sync Consistency
« on: September 18, 2004, 01:03:47 pm »

I finally sat down to fine tune the sync timing of my 4 zones.  I am piping the output of 2 zones to 2 sets of speakers in the same location so that I can get the sync pretty close.  The problem is that I find a value that seems right on for the sync but when I stop playing and sync again to double-check (without changing the sync timing) it is pretty far off.  It's almost as if it is using a different value each time.  Has anyone been able to get consistent results with this?  
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

bobe4

• Junior Woodchuck
Re:Zone Sync Consistency
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 12:37:46 pm »

How do you adjust the sync so that you talked about?

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 02:12:23 pm »

In the "Zone Manager" dialog there is a "Timing" value in ms for each zone.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 08:55:34 am »

Do any of the folks at JRiver have any suggestions?  I am currently trying to sync the analog output of a Creative Live card with the digital output of a Turtle Beach Riviera card and cannot get consistent results.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 09:05:39 am »

This isn't an exact science since every soundcard can work differently, and even have a different latency each time you go to talk to it.

Try always synching in the same direction, and then adjust the timing for just one card.

Playing with the output mode / output buffering settings may allow you to get a more accurate synch.

Some cards are slower or faster on initial playback than subsequent plays, so try synching a few times in a row.

Let us know what you learn.  This is still a pretty new area for us.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 01:07:56 pm »

Well, I can't get this even close.  I tried changing the output buffering with the same results.  When synching several times in a row, I get a different result each time.  In multiple cases, the other zone even started playing a different song!! Oh well...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 01:58:28 pm »

Could you try again with the next build of MC 11?

It adds the synch button to Zone Manager and changes how the timing numbers are used. (so the timing from both zones factor into a synch)

I've been able to get good synchs on a few machines with really different soundcards and output methods.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

milknkukis

• World Citizen
  • Crumbs!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2004, 05:26:08 am »

I have been playing with this too, i have a creative live 5.1 card and an onboard C-Media. I have found the gap to be about 6ms, but it also depends on the volumes of the two zones. This is because it changes where in the house you have to stand to hear both zones! I'm happy enough with it for now, but it does drift over a playlist.
Has anyone tried this with two identical sound cards? If it iliminated the drifting i would head out and buy another Live card....
I'm interested to know how other people are getting on with this.
cheers
mark

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2004, 09:17:59 pm »

Thanks for adding the sync button in the zone manager.  This made it much easier to adjust and test the sync.  Unfortunately, I got the same results.  I even tried it with 2 analog outputs of the same card (Soundblaster Live) and I get very inconsistent results with several syncs in a row.  Many times it actually played an entirely different song in the zone being synched to.  This leads me to believe that there is a bug somewhere that may prevent me from getting good sync in its current form.
Pages: [1]   Go Up