INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gapless iPod?  (Read 1947 times)

Russell

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Gapless iPod?
« on: September 27, 2004, 05:38:26 pm »

I am considering getting an iPod this week, and I've read elsewhere that it does not support gapless playback.  Is this true?  If so, how much of a gap is there, and how disruptive is it?

Thanks,
Russell

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re:Gapless iPod?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 11:56:06 pm »

How bad do your mp3s sound when doing gapless playback in MC? I don't think the iPod is any worse.

It doesn't bother me most of the time, but I'm not using the iPod for any audiophile purposes.

I think the problem many people have is that the iPod has difficulty even with "gapless" formats like WAVE.

Again, the occasional skip/gap doesn't bother me.

Best,
Brad

TimB

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 06:42:24 am »

I am considering getting an iPod this week, and I've read elsewhere that it does not support gapless playback.  Is this true?  If so, how much of a gap is there, and how disruptive is it?

Thanks,
Russell
I don't find it disruptive at all. :)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 05:09:52 pm »

How bad do your mp3s sound when doing gapless playback in MC? I don't think the iPod is any worse.

The iPod is actually MUCH worse in the relative sense.  The gaps in MC are only a small fraction of what they are on the iPod.

I think the problem many people have is that the iPod has difficulty even with "gapless" formats like WAVE.

This is true.  The iPod does not play ANY formats gapless -- not even the formats that are truly gapless on a computer.

If so, how much of a gap is there, and how disruptive is it?

This is totally dependant on the music.  On regular single-song pop music you'll never notice it's there.  On albums from bands like Genesis or Pink Floyd, however, I find the gaps EXTREMELY disruptive.  The flow between songs on ablums like The Wall is destroyed.  The transition between certain songs is incredibly jarring to me even with a small gap.  This was a big disappointment when I got an iPod.

As far as how "long" the gap is, I'd have a hard time estimating.  It's definitely less than a second, but when you suddenely stop a continuous beat for even a half or quarter second, it destroys the rhythm -- especially if the transition occurs during a loud section of music.

All that said, the iPod is a nice unit for other reasons -- what it does do, it does quite well.  Knowing what I know now, however, I'll definitely look into other players when I get another portable player.  I'd have to make sure that it still worked with MC, and I'm not sure such a unit actually exists at this time -- i.e. a unit that supports gapless playback (like a Rio Karma) that is also fully supported by MC.

Larry

Russell

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 06:00:37 pm »

Thanks, Larry.  That was a very helpful expanation.  I must say that I am leaning heavily toward the iPod right now.  I am going to do a bit more research tonight, but I am probably going to pull the trigger tomorrow.

Thanks, again.

Russell
Pages: [1]   Go Up