INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping failures in MC 10  (Read 1152 times)

savkar

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Ripping failures in MC 10
« on: September 28, 2004, 06:24:48 am »

I recently upgraded from MediaJukeBox 9 to Mediacenter 10.  I was able to flawlessly rip from my two CD drives (one is a CDRW (TDK) and the other is a Plextor 708a).

However since i upgraded, I cannot rip anymore in MC...

The symptoms:

(i)  Put in CD, YADB lookup, everything set and I select the right tracks for ripping.
(ii)  Hit "rip" and for a few seconds I see the message "initializing".  Then next thing I know, it indicates complete without having done anything!

I looked thru the forum and did not see anyone with this same issue, and I tried updating to the latest MC to try to fix things, with no change.

I presume a setting just got borked, but I have tried everything and so far no results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is quite depressing.  Otherwise MC looks great, and I am excited at having a more robust interface.

Sunil

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Ripping failures in MC 10
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 06:50:49 am »

Can you copy your system info from MC...

Help
System Info
-

savkar

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 07:17:13 am »

Here it is:

Media Center Registered 10.0.173 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium 4 1778 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 172 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1552 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3900.6922 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive D: PLEXTOR DVDR   PX-708A    Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive E: TDK     CDRW5200B         Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: PLEXTOR  DVDR   PX-708A     Addr: 2:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive E: TDK      CDRW5200B          Addr: 2:1:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 07:29:52 am »

Try uninstalling, rebooting, and resinstalling.

savkar

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 09:20:20 am »

Okay, I'll try this evening when I get home.  I note that i am able to rip with almost every other program I have-- very strange.

Sunil

savkar

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 06:45:36 am »

Well, no go.

I unintalled, rebooted, and reinstalled.  Additional symptoms I am having:

(i)  Noticed that with digital playback checked for audio, that I would get errors even when trying to play a song.  I unchecked, and now it starts "playing" the song but there is no sound... I checked windows media player and another third party program, and they both work and play thru my speakers.
(ii)  I still get the same issue when trying to rip.  I will select the album, and it just indicates (a) initializng and then (b) complete without any indication of what went wrong.

Any additional checks/fixes?  With Media Jukebox 9, I could just install it and away I went.  I can't see why Media Center needs tweaking up front to work...

Sunil

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 07:56:46 am »

Are you logged in with admin privileges? If not, we have a small utility which will open up access to the CD drives for non-admin users in MC.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

savkar

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 08:14:37 am »

No, I think I definitely have admin privileges.  I am running Windows 2000 on the machine...

Is there any other information dump I could provide that may (i) ascertain why playback is not working properly and (ii) what the issue with ripping is too...  Some sort of debug diag mode or something where I can get a dump to send you?

BTW, I will try playback of mp3s tonight that are already ripped and see if that is a problem too.

Sunil

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 08:40:00 am »

Sunil,
You've got one of those "weird" problems going on.  It's more than MC.  Possibilities I can think of include:

Bad download.  Try downloading again and don't use a download manager.

Virus checker mangling the file?

Security settings preventing installation of some components?

Drive problems or memory problems.

Virus problem.

Etc.

Version 10 isn't any different than 9 in terms of installation and setup.  It should install and run.

You might learn something by installing the same file on another PC.

savkar

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 10:19:13 am »

Okay, I will check it out.  I may go back and reinstall MJ 9 and see if the problem is there too (it certainly wasn't previously).

Sunil
Pages: [1]   Go Up