INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Feature: Copy & Resize in one step  (Read 2187 times)

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
New Feature: Copy & Resize in one step
« on: September 28, 2004, 10:03:04 am »

I've found my self doing the same thing a couple of times... If I need a reduced copy of my images (to send by email, to burn a cd, to build a web page, ...).... How can I do it?

Is it possible to copy the images, and resize them (with the option to import the new images into MC library, or not)?

I think it would be a cool feature...

Or put it other way... I have 20 Gb of images, I wish a reduced copy of each image (let's say the total reduced volume could be 1 Gb)... I have 5 Gb free on my HD... Can I use MC to do this task?

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re:New Feature: Copy & Resize in one step
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 06:29:15 pm »

I agree wholeheartedly!  I find myself creating thumbnails for HTML and I think it's too hard to copy the images, import them,  resize them, and then delete from the library.

Add me to the list of people who think this would be very useful.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 06:39:05 pm »

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but try this:

Select an image or images

Right click

Send to

E-mail recipient

Under options at this point, you can choose to resize.

They won't get imported, but maybe you can find a creative solution (e-mail to yourself, for example).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 06:52:32 pm »

Or put it other way... I have 20 Gb of images, I wish a reduced copy of each image (let's say the total reduced volume could be 1 Gb)... I have 5 Gb free on my HD... Can I use MC to do this task?
To do just this, you could copy the images to a new location, and then re-size them.

Right click, Image, Resize image.

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 07:51:48 am »

To do just this, you could copy the images to a new location, and then re-size them.

Right click, Image, Resize image.

I've one limitaiton... HD space... I cannot copy to a new location because I have few space left...

I think it is a useful thing to copy and resize image (or songs) in just one step...

BTW, the idea to email the images to my self is nice...

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 11:05:10 am »

Perhaps this scenario points to a larger use case.  I think that edited images should not overwrite the originals.  For example, the edited image (which is now another media item) could get named *_edited.jpg with an option to choose which one (or both) gets kept in the library.  This would solve the subject of this thread as well as be useful for much broader scenarios.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 11:27:17 am »

I think we're in the gray area of whether this kind of thing should be the job of the user or of the developer.  

Some things are best done by users so that the program remains less bulky.  Copying a set of images before editing doesn't seem like it's too difficult.

How does Word handle this kind of problem?  Open doc, edit, save or save as.  What you get is not always what you want, but that's within your control.

Unless I'm missing something important, I don't see a need for change.

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 01:23:29 pm »

Some things are best done by users so that the program remains less bulky.  Copying a set of images before editing doesn't seem like it's too difficult.

It is difficult, since MC shows the images duplicated, without an ovious way to detect the original ones and the new one.

How does Word handle this kind of problem?  Open doc, edit, save or save as.  

I can open a .DOC document, and save it as .TXT. I don't need to save it as .DOC in a diferrent location, and then save it as TXT...

I ask you to think a litle more about it. But I understand is up to you to decide what it is more convenient for MC and its users...

Think about it... When I select "Resize Imge..." a dialog appear warning me that "This operation will alter original images"... Why? I may want to alter original images, or I may not... I may want to copy them in a diferrent location (similar to rename from properties), and I may want to import new images to MC or I may not... Don't you think?

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 07:10:27 pm »

I think we're in the gray area of whether this kind of thing should be the job of the user or of the developer.  

How does Word handle this kind of problem?  Open doc, edit, save or save as.  What you get is not always what you want, but that's within your control.

I think Word is a poor analogy as it includes a versioning function that resolves a lot of this issue.  Perhaps a more appropriate question is what do other image manipulation applications do.  Adobe Photoshop Album changes the name of the edited file in the manner that I suggested (to be honest, that's where I got the idea).

The difference here is that we're also talking about how the *library* functions are handled.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 11:09:28 pm »

Open the image in Image Editor, resize it, and choose Save As ...
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

IanG

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2004, 02:55:28 am »

Perhaps this scenario points to a larger use case.  I think that edited images should not overwrite the originals.  For example, the edited image (which is now another media item) could get named *_edited.jpg with an option to choose which one (or both) gets kept in the library.  This would solve the subject of this thread as well as be useful for much broader scenarios.

I completely agree with that!  I use a program (DCE AutoEnhance) which batch process my pictures before saving and renaming them in a subfolder.  It very explicitly will not allow you to overwrite the original pictures.  I always keep copies of the original files - there's no way back once they've been changed.

Mihove Image Resizer - http://www.webattack.com/get/imageresizer.shtml - will resize batches of files, but it doesn't overwrite the original either.

Ian G.

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2004, 03:53:32 am »

I always keep copies of the original files - there's no way back once they've been changed.

I dont know if we are an "average user" since I dont know how the average user looks like... but I also keep copies of the original files... I never will use the actual "Resize image" alone because it "alter original images"... I just don't like that... I prefer to mantain a copy of each original image... So I have to manually copy them, or don't use the actual "resize image" alone...

IanG

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2004, 06:10:49 am »

Am I alone in thinking this is a neat piece of thinking?

Probably not, but it doesn't suit me, for 2 reasons:-

I process my images because I'm going to do something with them - e.g. include them in a video, publish them on the web or copy them back to the memory card for professional printing.  I don't get any benefit from this approach.

Some of the enhancements (ha!) I make would need huge amounts of disk space -  a lot more than the original picture.  I end up with the tail wagging the dog!

Ian G.

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2004, 05:12:21 pm »

What the status about this request?  Have you decided something? Is it marked as "Plan to do", "We'll think about it", "Discarded", "May be MC 12"...?

I don't know if this questions can seem rude... I just want to know if we should remember it time to time, or just forget about it...

Thank you anyway for your attention...
Pages: [1]   Go Up