INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: Off for a couple of weeks on a mission trip  (Read 1566 times)

TimB

• Citizen of the Universe
OT: Off for a couple of weeks on a mission trip
« on: July 16, 2004, 06:02:02 am »

I'll be disappearing from INTERACT tonight for 10 days for my first mission trip.  Going to the Dominican Republic to help paint a church and teach bible school.  As a recent returnee to church its kinda exciting as tho' I'm pretty well traveled I've never done anything remotely like this before.  We're not doing the door to door thing, we're pretty low key, theologically liberal.

See ya soon! :)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:OT: Off for a couple of weeks on a mission trip
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 06:20:40 am »

Best of luck, Tim.  Be sure and mention Media Center.   ;)

TimB

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 07:28:06 am »

Actually I mention MC all the time, not the least to my minister who's just been given an iPod so this'll be a 2 iPod trip.  However he's more of an iTunes fan.

-=Tim=-

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 09:04:13 am »

Tell your minister that iTunes is the player of choice for those consigned to eternal damnation :D

bebop

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 10:33:26 am »

Helping out is always a good thing, be it doctors without borders, ministries, habitat for humanity or the peace corps.  Are you gonna take lots of pics?  Friends of mine have been there and say it's very beautiful and the people are very nice.    Have a safe trip.  

TimB

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 11:33:55 am »

SteveG: LOL

Bebop: My feeling entirely on the reasons for going, I'd wanted to do this kinda thing before I joined the church and hopefully this will turn out to be a great way to do it.  Yup, taking my cheap camera (which used to be an expensive camera 3-4 years ago!  ) but no computer so I'll be limited to "only" 512 photos.

This will be longest I've been computer-less for 4 years!  :o

-=Tim=-

bebop

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 01:47:16 pm »

Well, Tim, at least you'll have your tunes!!!  That should take the edge off being unplugged!!! ;D

TimB

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 04:34:03 pm »

Good news is that I don't have to go cold turkey on Online.  My hotel (low end) has Internet connectivity.

Bad is that its hot as heck. :)  

Done some painting, some yard clearance, some kids stuff (making shakers, coloring in fish, singing, etc.).  Lotsa fun tho' VERY draining.

Guaranteed to have some cute pix when I get back. :)

See y'all.

-=Tim=-

bebop

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 11:00:12 am »

coloring in fish?!! hope you mean you were coloring pics of fishes ;D - can't imagine fishes holding still enough to be colored  ;D - on the other hand...if you've been fishin' with the kids you can make fish prints (take the slimy dead fishie,  roll  poster paint onto the  side of fishie and press fishie to paper --viola a fish print!  Believe it or not, they do this at Goldstream Park here during the big salmon run  - I believe I have one or two such prints stached away with all the other kid made stuff in the attic.)  Glad to hear it's not all work and no play!  Looking forward to seeing the pics.  b

TimB

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 10:14:58 am »

Better late than never.  Just realized that I'd forgotten to post the pix, they aren't all my own photos.  The only picture of me is from my best angle. ;)

www.timbarwick.com

-=Tim=-

bebop

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2004, 10:50:27 am »

nice pics, Tim....looks like they could use the "Ground Force" team on that garden!  

TimB

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2004, 01:57:37 pm »

nice pics, Tim....looks like they could use the "Ground Force" team on that garden!  

LOL!

In the end we had a tragic situation that lead to the garden not being completed.

One of the local families we'd been working with early in the week had a daughter who had to go to hospital for bad appendix problems.  She in for a day but when it was time for her to leave the family had no money for the bill so the hospital threatened to keep the child until the bill was paid.  :o  Her father was going to have to sell his car, his only means to get to work, to pay the bill.  Instead we took a collection and added that to money that was going to be used for the garden and one of us went to the hospital with the father, paid the bill and picked up the little girl.

-=Tim=-

bebop

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2004, 02:18:00 pm »

plants - child's needs...hummm that's a no brainer.  Good to hear that there are still many good people out there.  Good deeds mostly go unnoticed, but in the end they don't go unrewarded.  Our family is has a habit of random acts of kindness , passed on from my Nana.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up