INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VBR Encoding: What are the LAME equivilents?  (Read 886 times)

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
VBR Encoding: What are the LAME equivilents?
« on: October 11, 2004, 09:07:26 am »

Using MC10.  Under the VBR Encoding Options, I was wondering what the LAME equivilents are for the normal, normal/high and high settings.

In the past I used EAC to rip with --alt present standard.  I now realize I can use the custom option to get the same.  However, I already ripped a few CDs with the High quality setting (with normal speed), and was wondering if it is the same as preset standard or preset extreme.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re:VBR Encoding: What are the LAME equivilents?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 10:34:37 am »

Maybe somebody at JRiver knows what parameters are passed.

I think they are the old "default" settings, which were used already in Media Jukebox for ages. I have never seen an announcement about changes.

Although the files produced with those settings sound just fine, I would use newer code level tweaked presets for VBR encodings.

--alt-preset standard  and
--alt-preset extreme  (consumes more bits. I am not sure if the files sound any better, though I have used it)

Things can be different with MC 11. It has a new encoder version, 3.96.1. I don't know if there are other changes.

As far as I know MC 10 uses still LAME 3.93. It is possible to use 3.96.1 with MC 10 if you replace the lame.exe file in the plugins folder or use it as an external encoder.

MP3s encoded with 3.96.1 may not sound noticeably better, but the encoder is faster.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

pipsqueak

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
Re:VBR Encoding: What are the LAME equivilents?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 11:25:24 am »

there's also "--alt-preset insane" for SERIOUS bit usage...

8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up