INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Change request -- edit libary on server from client  (Read 1001 times)

wizbang

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
Change request -- edit libary on server from client
« on: October 10, 2004, 04:38:26 pm »

Hi,

Are there plans to add features to this new library such as the ability to add/edit/remove playlists etc. via remote PCs i.e. I have my media server running in the basement and I connect to it via my desktop PC. I then modify a playlist or add a new playlist on my desktop PC. The playlist on the media server is then updated to reflect the changes I made via the desktop PC.

If I play music on my desktop PC will the server's file play count be updated i.e. I want to have a single server that monitors and keeps track of all the times my media is accessed no matter where from?

I would dearly love to be able to control my server's playlists etc. without having to resort to VNC like I do at the moment.  :)

Is there a list of the features you plan to add to this version of the media server?

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Library Server (formerly Media Server)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 04:49:09 pm »

No.  Maybe some day.  It isn't simple.

TimB

Re:Change request -- edit libary on server from client
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 03:30:42 am »

This is a feature I'd LOVE to have!  Jim, is it worth getting people to lobby for or is it too difficult at this time even for that?

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 07:07:29 am »

No lobbying, please.  We know it would be nice to have for some people, but it's complex to do.

wizbang

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 01:56:34 pm »

Its a shame its too difficult, but I understand  :(
I'm suprised you don't get asked this more often though as I would have thought it was what most people with more than one PC would want to do.

Is there a workaround? If I shared the library folders on the server and then pointed each instance of MediaCentre on the desktop PCs to use the shared library folder, would this mean that any PC could update the playlists, play counts etc. and all other PCs would see the updates? Or would I run into all sorts of concurrency issues and screw up my library?

Suggestions anyone???

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 05:07:06 pm »

If you do a search - you'll find it is asked for all the time!!

You can have all the PC's sharing the same library over networked drives BUT if two update at the same time you will probably cause a corrupt library and lose all your data.

Safest workaround (which i do) is to use an RC program like PC Anywhere or VNU. Listen with a normal MC client, but update via the RC.

And now we wait for the feature to become less "tricky" ....  ;)

TimB

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 06:19:23 pm »

OK I'll shut up. :)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up