INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Buy has XP Media Center PC  (Read 1304 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Best Buy has XP Media Center PC
« on: November 01, 2002, 11:52:22 am »

Not that you will want to rush out and buy one, but if you've been following our Hairstyle/JRiver Media Center discussions, you might find it interesting to see what Microsft is rolling out.

Windows XP Media Center Edition is a special release of XP that is currently only available with the hardware from one of a few PC manufacturers.  HP is one of them and last week they delivered a model 873 to about 100 Best Buy stores.

The only difference you'll see right away is a "Media Center" option under Program Files.  It was also on the Desktop on the PC I saw.  There are some screenshots in this thread:
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=beta;action=display;num=1035904289

The reason I bring it up, other than the fact that I think it's a milestone in computing, is that our new MJ 9.0, which will become JRiver Media Center, will compete with it.  Here's a press release that explains more:

http://www.musicex.com/press/press46.html

I'm interested in what you think of the new PC with the new look.  Any feedback would be welcome.

Griff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Best Buy has XP Media Center PC
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2002, 03:59:13 pm »

MS said weeks ago "you may be able to connect to tv"

Ok I know Im off my rocker, but just got back from HP site and Nvidia.

HP says
Enjoy powerful entertainment with the HP media center pc 863n! Watch or record your favorite TV programs - even pause live TV, instant replay or skip commercials

video
[definition]   NVIDIAŽ GeForce4™ MX420 graphics card with 64MB DDR SDRAM video memory with TV-out

Nvidia says
GeForce4 MX 420      The nView hardware and software technology combination delivers maximum flexibility for multi-display options, and provides unprecedented end-user control of the desktop experience. nView allows end-users to select any combination of multiple displays, including digital flat panels, analog CRTs, and TVs, and to modify the display properties using an intuitive software interface

Remember wheres the beef.

Ok, wheres the input? (TV)

Nvidia doesnt say theres a tv tuner onboard.
Only a tv out with nview.

Unlike ATI where you got to set Pri. and Sec., Nview you dont have to.(From what I read)

The only Nvidia cards with a tv tuner are their personal cinema cards. Marketed by Visiontek and Compro.
Over in Europe marketed by Sound Blaster.

So how are they doing the tv and tivo stuff?

Ok, Its been a long day. Maybe Im missing something.

So lets move on.

HP says starting from $1349.00 plus display and speakers.

Hummmmmmm

What did I pay for my setup?

Well had the pc (Most people do nowdays),its in my office and the tv in another room with an rf remote (to control pc).

So, lets see

ATI all in wonder 7500  ---$150.00

MJ --- $25.00

Couple of audio and video cables ----- $30.00

Total  $205.00
Hummmmm looks like MJ was the cheapest thing!!!
(I know it was the best thing)

So $205.00 vs $1349.00 plus

I dont think so.

Thanks
The Griff

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
Re: Best Buy has XP Media Center PC
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2002, 05:51:38 am »

I haven't really looked at it much, but it seems to be fairly priced, and would be a great solution for someone buying a new PC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up