INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Renaming folders for pictures  (Read 1924 times)

Neville

• World Citizen
  • I am the black crow king...
Renaming folders for pictures
« on: October 16, 2004, 03:47:07 pm »

I'm trying, without success, to rename folders from properties for my picture files. I wan't folder names to look like 2004-10-16.
I'm using this rule:
[Date (year)]-[Date (month)]-[Date (day)]
but this give me 2004-October-16.
Also I would like to have leading zeros in dates that have only one digit (eg. 2004-04-01).
Is there any way to acomplish this?

Neville

• World Citizen
Re:Renaming folders for pictures
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 04:20:07 am »

bump  :)

If there is no way to make this date format, I think it should be, because it's widely used international ISO standard used for dates (ISO 8601)
For more informations click here:
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/popstds/datesandtime.html

It's wery usefull for sorting folders in windows explorer or ftp server etc.. so please, can you make this option.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 05:44:54 am »

Usually it is possible to get any kind of file & pathnames by circulating information through library fields and filenames with library tools. I would use some custom fields and for the day number I would use the "Track #" field because it uses leading zeros when included in the filename rule. Getting folder names to your format may need several operations.

However, it is not possible to give you step by step instructions without knowing exactly how your data is organized now (filenames, folder structure, library fields).

Perhaps people will answer with their ideas if you write here a detailed example.

P.S. Did you try to change your Windows date format in Control Panel/Regional and Language Options/Regional/Customize/Date? I have there d.M.yyyy, but if I change that to dd.MM.yyyy many programs use that rule and show the leading zeros. Though, I don't know about MC.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 06:54:04 am »

This would be easy if MC could understand something like this in the library user fields:

Calculated data, Template: [Date (Control Panel short format)] and [Date (Control Panel long format)].

Unfortunately I cannot find any way to do it.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Neville

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 09:31:20 am »

P.S. Did you try to change your Windows date format in Control Panel/Regional and Language Options/Regional/Customize/Date? I have there d.M.yyyy, but if I change that to dd.MM.yyyy many programs use that rule and show the leading zeros. Though, I don't know about MC.

It is working for some fields - for example field [Date] is showing "03.07.2004 14:48" but field [Date (day)] is still showing "3". In the view schemes it's ok to show day or month without leading zeros, but for filenames and folder names it would be nice if they have leading zeros because of sorting.

This would be easy if MC could understand something like this in the library user fields:
Calculated data, Template: [Date (Control Panel short format)] and [Date (Control Panel long format)].

Maybe just one calculated field like [Date (ISO)]?

It's not very important, but it would be nice to have this ISO format, it would contribute to MC internationalization.

Neville

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 10:35:03 am »

OK, after setting Control panel short date format to "yyyy-MM-dd" this is how my MC fileds for one picture looks now:
Date: 2003-12-06 22:05
Date (filename friendly): 20031206-220550
Date (year): 2003
Date (day): 6
Date (month): December
Album: 6.12.2003

I guess the Album filed is populated automatically, because when I import a few new pictures from my digital camera, the album filed looks like this 2003-12-06 which is exactly what I want - I can then use this field for folder rule. Problem is for old pictures that were allready in library before I changed CP settings, they still have old date format in album field.
Question is how can I re-populate album filed to show this new date format?

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 08:29:33 pm »

OK, after setting Control panel short date format to "yyyy-MM-dd" this is how my MC fileds for one picture looks now:
Date: 2003-12-06 22:05
Date (filename friendly): 20031206-220550
Date (year): 2003
Date (day): 6
Date (month): December
Album: 6.12.2003

I guess the Album filed is populated automatically, because when I import a few new pictures from my digital camera, the album filed looks like this 2003-12-06 which is exactly what I want - I can then use this field for folder rule. Problem is for old pictures that were allready in library before I changed CP settings, they still have old date format in album field.
Question is how can I re-populate album filed to show this new date format?

Picking up on an old thread, doing the same thing with photos.  I changed my Control panel and I thought I have done this in the past where I have created a two digit month.  Now my month is coming out as a single digit monht.  Can someone else test this (Rename file from properites using date(month) as one of the parameters) to see if it is something I am doing wrong.

Thanks!!

Neville

• World Citizen
Re: Renaming folders for pictures
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 11:56:46 pm »

With great new database expressions now it is possible to set date formating to anything we want.  :)  I use this for rename files from properties:

[Date (year)]\FormatDate([Date], yyyy-MM-dd)

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
Re: Renaming folders for pictures
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 11:56:45 am »

With great new database expressions now it is possible to set date formating to anything we want.  :)  I use this for rename files from properties:

[Date (year)]\FormatDate([Date], yyyy-MM-dd)

Thanks, I had not dug into those yet.

For me to get a two digit month then, it would be:

[Date (month)]\FormatDate([Date], yyyy-MM-dd)

?

Seems like a LOT of typing, put I will try when I get home.
Pages: [1]   Go Up