INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 10 crashes trying to go full screen  (Read 1369 times)

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
MC 10 crashes trying to go full screen
« on: November 09, 2004, 11:56:00 am »

Often MC crashes when trying to go full screen i.e. it tries to go full screen but hangs whilst just showing the grey tool bars at the top and bottom.  If I close and restart MC (sometimes this has to be done via Task Manager) then all is well for a while.

I'm running the latest MC10 with a clean install of XP pro (SP2) and recent ATI Catalyst Drivers for my Radeon 9800 Pro.

I don't run any plug ins except for G-Force Gold.

This problem is seriously damaging the WAF on my HTPC.  Does anyone have any ideas what the cause could be?
JLee

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
Re:MC 10 crashes trying to go full screen
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 12:37:06 pm »

Often MC crashes when trying to go full screen i.e. it tries to go full screen but hangs whilst just showing the grey tool bars at the top and bottom.  If I close and restart MC (sometimes this has to be done via Task Manager) then all is well for a while.

I'm running the latest MC10 with a clean install of XP pro (SP2) and recent ATI Catalyst Drivers for my Radeon 9800 Pro.

I don't run any plug ins except for G-Force Gold.

This problem is seriously damaging the WAF on my HTPC.  Does anyone have any ideas what the cause could be?

I have the same problem with MC 11 build 11.0.118
A day without laughing is a day without living

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 12:39:48 pm »

Any third party plug-ins running?

Any unusual software related to video?

Could be a video card driver problem.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 01:18:35 pm »

Are you sure it's hung?  With nothing playing, full screen is just a black screen with bars on the top and bottom.

You can double-click or hit escape to return.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 01:49:22 pm »

Are you sure it's hung?  With nothing playing, full screen is just a black screen with bars on the top and bottom.

While in Playing Now, full screen, Trackinfo. Not always. But if, then no reactions on mouse-clicks or keyboard. And taskmanager says MC is not reacting.
I just tried it again and no poblems this time.
A day without laughing is a day without living

Neville

• World Citizen
  • I am the black crow king...
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 01:52:21 pm »

When I insert CD witch contains one DivX/Xvid movie and one subtitle file, in recent buids of MC11, and try to watch this movie from theater view, I get only black screen, and movie isn't playing. I think this is because MC is trying to open both files (movie and subtitle), naturally it failes to open subtitle file and movie doesn't play. Maybe this is the problem IMHO.

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 02:26:34 am »

Yes, I'm sure.  It's when something is playing.  Double clicking or hitting escape is always the first thing I try.  This gives me one of two results: 1) back to PN and all looks OK except there's no way I can get full screen vis to initialise properly.  2) full screen vis will not exit, the grey bars are shown at the top and bottom with Playing Now visible through the middle and MC is hanging, though still playing.  2 happens more often than 1.

The only plug in I have running is G-Force and the only Video software I have is Powerstrip.  I have MC set to display Visualisations in teh same resolution and bit depth as the profile set in powerstrip.  This ensure that the transition to and from full screen vis is 'normally' smooth (when it works).
JLee

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 04:21:40 am »

It could be an ATI driver/Powerstrip issue. I had this discussion some time ago (about video playback):
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=24129

I seem to have problems with some of the visualizations. I don't have specific information to tell (for now), but some of them hung.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 05:52:47 am »

Thanks Alex.  ATI seems more likely than Powerstrip.  I think I'm running 3.9 so I could try upgrading to a later version.  I just thought that a lot more people would have seen this if it was an issue with ATI drivers.
JLee
Pages: [1]   Go Up