INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copying smartlists  (Read 1382 times)

zagor

• Recent member
Copying smartlists
« on: October 18, 2004, 02:56:59 am »

May be it is a dumb question but I couldn't made it myself :
How can I copy my smartlists from one computer to another one?
(MC was installed in both computers)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re:Copying smartlists
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 04:06:08 am »

A library backup and restore will transfer them. If the files on the second PC are different then you must delete all items from the library after the restore and reimport from the correct locations.

If you don't have hundreds of them you could also simply copy the search expressions to Notepad and paste back in the target computer.

Edit

If the library on the second computer is important and you like to use the export/import route you can gather all the library items to a new playlist and export that to MPL format(search here for mpl). You can later import that .mpl file to MC and get the old library items back.

In any case you should backup the both libraries before this kind of operations.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

zagor

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 04:20:19 am »

Sory, I forgot to tell that I have identical libraries in both computers.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 04:24:12 am »

So then it should be easy. A simple backup/restore. That will change some statistical information on the second computer (playcounts, dates, etc.) and also the other playlists, but does that matter?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

zagor

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 06:31:27 am »

Thanks for your support. But there are some points :

1- My libraries contain 5,500 + songs and around 40 GB space.

2- One of my computer is in home and the other is in office, and they don't have a network connection. So I can't transfer that much data.

3- I use smartlists, not static playlists. Everytime new songs imported to the library, they are handled by the smartlists.

So I just want to copy the smatlist criteria to another computer. Is it possible?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 07:01:23 am »

I meant the MC library database backup, not your media files. (File -> Library -> Backup Library). It is small and includes everything you have in the library. Including the smartlists.

Q:
So I just want to copy the smatlist criteria to another computer. Is it possible?
A:
If you don't have hundreds of them you could also simply copy the search expressions to Notepad and paste back in the target computer.
 - What is wrong with that?
Pages: [1]   Go Up