INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Read offset setting in MC (att. JohnT)  (Read 1011 times)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Read offset setting in MC (att. JohnT)
« on: October 18, 2004, 08:55:02 am »

We had some discussion about this last summer. I think that was all what happened. Any news about this?

.. is the read offset actually correctly implemented in MC?
I have problems using the setting reported for my drive... it always fails on the last track, which probably means that it is off.
/Sören

Read this: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=22358
I'll look into how the read offset is implemented in MC. It sounds like there could be a problem from what you describe.

And

I believe that the EAC offset is measured in samples while the MC offset is measured in sectors a.k.a. frames - each sector consists of 588 samples or 2352 bytes (2 channels at 16 bits equals 4 bytes).

When you use a +6 sectors offset in MC it corresponds to using a +3528 offset in EAC; this is clearly not what you want and is prpbably the source of your problem, since MC is trying to read 3522 (3528 - 6) non-exisiting samples from the end of the last track.

My personal opinion is that the read offset setting in MC should either be removed, or changed to be samples instead of sectors, in order to be actually useful - otherwise problems such as this will arise for people who assume that the offset is measured the same way as in EAC or PlexTools.

BTW I also got bitten by this assumption, but since my Plextor drive has a +99 read offset, the 99*588 samples offset used by MC amounted to 1.3 seconds, so I could hear that the start of some tracks were appended to the end of the previous track! ...so I changed the offset back to 0, and I suggest that you do the same.

- Roar

Thanks, Alex
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Read offset setting in MC (att. JohnT)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 01:35:18 pm »

Since I won't be able to address this issue for a while, I will remove the option for the time being so it won't confuse people. I will change read compensation to be in samples rather than sectors. Feel free to bug me again if you don't see it in the next few weeks.

Thanks,
- John T.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up