INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Media Server Stream Video?  (Read 1280 times)

skidoo

• World Citizen
Can Media Server Stream Video?
« on: November 01, 2002, 09:07:21 am »

Every time I try to play a video file via MJ connected to an instance of Media Server, I get a login dialog.  No combination of user name and password will get me past this dialog.  Clicking "Cancel" results in a Windows Media Player error.  Anyone got any ideas? Help!

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
  • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
Re: Can Media Server Stream Video?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2002, 10:34:53 am »

You can avoid this by putting your videos on a network share and stream them via file sharing instead of MJ's server.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2002, 10:45:55 am »

May help....May not

Media Server may use IE in some way. In IE check your Tools>Internet Options>Connections and see if "Never Dial a Connection" is checked (I assume you have DSL, Cable, or a T1/T3 line and are always online).

>>Clicking "Cancel" results in a Windows Media Player error

Huh? WMP error...Why? Do you have it running? It's not v9 beta, is it?

edit> My mistake...you did say VIDEO. But I wasn't aware Media Server could "serve" MM to a non-MJ client. WMP v9b is STILL a bad thing, though.

Xenno

skidoo

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2002, 11:02:21 am »

You can avoid this by putting your videos on a network share and stream them via file sharing instead of MJ's server.

Some of them are AVIs. Besides, I'm trying to connect to my server at home from my machine at work.

skidoo

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2002, 11:16:07 am »

Media Server may use IE in some way. In IE check your Tools>Internet Options>Connections and see if "Never Dial a Connection" is checked (I assume you have DSL, Cable, or a T1/T3 line and are always online).

No dial-up connections configured, no VPNs.

>>Clicking "Cancel" results in a Windows Media Player error

Huh? WMP error...Why? Do you have it running? It's not v9 beta, is it?

No, WMP is not running. MJ is obviously trying to use WMP to play the movie.

edit> My mistake...you did say VIDEO. But I wasn't aware Media Server could "serve" MM to a non-MJ client. WMP v9b is STILL a bad thing, though.

I'm using MJ, not WMP. MJ is apparently using WMP. WMP (or some component thereof) is popping the error message.

Has anyone ever successfully streamed video with Media Server?  Note that I've tried this from my machine at home (on the same LAN) and the same thing happens.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2002, 11:43:31 am »

Skidoo,
Though Media Server could serve more file types than it does now, it currently doesn't serve video files.

The login/password _could_ be for WM security.  As you may know, when you play a protected WM file, it may need to obtain a license from a server.  But I'm not at all sure what the login is for.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up