INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server, Part 3  (Read 29609 times)

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
Re:Library Server, Part 3
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2004, 05:26:27 pm »

Okay, I had Library Server set up to work perfectly. But then my home computer got trashed trying to install Norton Systemworks 2005. So, I've reformatted my HDD and reinstalled my software and recovered my data. And now I cannot get Library Server to work and I can't figure out why.

1.  I'm using v. 128 on both machines.
2.  The work machine has not changed at all.
3.  My router has not changed.
4.  I have a dynamic DNS thing that is up and running and working properly.
5.  I can get to my home computer (to another app), so I know the link to that computer is working and the tunnel through the router's firewall is working.

Library server is running on the home machine on the correct port (8989 in my case). I checked before I left this morning. The work computer is trying to connect to that port.

But everytime I try to connect to the library, I get the "Failed to Connect to Server. Reason Unknown" message.

What else should I check?

I *really* wish there was some written documentation on this. . .

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2004, 06:18:28 pm »

Check on server under Tools>Options>startup.  Make sure the checkbox is disabled for the "run remote server on port: xxxx" option.

This one's obvious, but go into the pane under plugins and click on Library Server.  Make sure the last entry showing on the screen says " running on port 8989".

Do you have a port scanner at work that you can scan your home IP address to make sure it's actually getting through to that port and getting an answer?
If you don't have one, post your home IP address here and I can test that for you tomorrow.

You say you reinstalled the O/S.  If you're running XP service pack 2, make sure the built-in firewall is disabled or it will block all incoming traffic.  It's enabled by default in SP2 so you have to go turn it off manually.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2004, 06:42:12 pm »

The program has to be finished before we can write the instructions, but searching here should provide a lot of info.  

If you're sure you have the right port on both sides, then it may be a firewall issue or a configuration issue with the router you use.  Maybe the router was set correctly, for example, but the IP address changed on the new PC.

Check that you can connect locally, using the new PC as both the server and the client.

Double check the options for Library Server.  

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2004, 07:21:20 pm »

Well, it's not the IP because I can get to the computer on port 8080 to another app.

Yes, I did check that Library Server was running on the right port.

I am running SP2, but I was running that before with the firewall enabled and it was working fine. I don't have any other kind of firewall except for whatever is built into the router. Is that enough? I'd hate to open my whole system up.

Do I need to turn off "running remote server on"? or does it just need to be running on a different port? (I ask because I'm toying with using NetRemote inside the house, which needs this. Although I probably don't need both turned on at the same time, but I'd have to remember. . .)

I don't think I have a port scanner (what would it be called if I did?). My home IP is -- [removed] -- I have a DynDNS client on the home computer that tracks and posts my ISP given dynamic IP to DynDNS.org.

Thanks. I'll keep checking.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2004, 07:28:53 pm »

You don't have to have your whole PC open.  Just the port.

Whatever may be running on 8080 must be shut down if you want to use that port.

Remoteserver can be running provided it is on another port.

I would not recommend posting your home details here.  I've edited your post.

Here's what I saw when I entered the address you gave:

Server Name: LinksysStorage
   Version: V2.3R25

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2004, 09:24:09 pm »

well, well, well, this is strange to me, but I figured it out. It was that the actual IP changed. It used to end in 100, but now my home machine is listed as 105. When I changed that for the application in the router, I could connect. Hmm.

Thanks for your patience and suggestions.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2004, 07:17:40 am »

Thanks for reporting the solution.  It may help someone else.

rfehr

• Recent member
Re: Library Server, Part 3
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2005, 10:03:24 pm »

I probably should be starting a new thread but I'm hoping that John Gateley
 is monitoring this one.

Are there any plans to implement a multi-user database for MC either at the Library server (plugin) layer or at the DB itself?

What I'd like to do (and what I've infered that a lot of people would like to do) is have a single (possibly headless) media server which is nothing more than a database and streaming engine, along with multiple client devices.  Some client devices ("consumer" UPnP clients) would only read and sink streams.  Others, like MC would be able to read and write to the database.  Most (all would be my perference) ripping and downloading would be done on client PC's but all the content would be stored on the server and availible to any other connected client.  Playlists, etc. created on one client would also be visible/availible to all.

Ideally, this is done with some sort of authenticaion/access control but simple collision avoidance and modification notifications would be more than sufficient.

If this is not on the horizon, does the MC11 API allow me to use an external database (i.e. can I write an ADO connector plug-in to a SQL Server database)?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2005, 10:51:54 pm »

Hi rfehr,

We are considering what you are asking for - either a true multi-user database, or an update capability from clients.

But it's a HUGE amount of work. We've made progress with library server/tivo server/upnp server, but are not very close to the end goal.

In summary: don't give up hope, but don't expect it tomorrow.

I don't know enought to answer your question about external databases, but I suspect the answer is no. In any case, the MC/MJ database is highly optimzed for the kind of usage it gets, and a generic database won't come close.

j

siubing17saisai

« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2005, 01:23:42 pm »

I think I am reporting a new problem in regards to the library server not working in certain situations, after doing a quick search in the forum.  Anyway, I can get the client and server to stream music if the filename are in all english characters, such as the following: "Avril Lavigne - Let go 12.mp3"  However, if the filename contains chinese characters, such as the following: "黃光良 - 童話 04.mp3", the status indicating at the top (where it displays the title and album of the song it is currently playing) will remain in buffering...   [this happens when I am able to first stream an mp3 file with an english filename first, which works, and then select to play an mp3 file with a chinese filename]

If I just add a playlist to playing now, where the mp3 files have chinese characters in the filename, i'll get the following error message:

"Media center encountered errors while trying to play the last several files.
Windows Media Error:
Unknown Error (0x80070002)

Please make sure the path in your media library points to the right location."

Server is running on XP SP1 english version with chinese (taiwan) locale turned on and so is the laptop client.

Library Server Conversion settings:
Convert audio files: [YES]
Encoder: Windows Media [YES]
Quality: 128 [YES]

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2005, 09:27:41 am »

I'm working on this, but it'll be a few days...

j

rfehr

• Recent member
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2005, 09:50:06 pm »

Hi rfehr,

We are considering what you are asking for - either a true multi-user database, or an update capability from clients.

Thanks for the response.  As I'm sure you're well aware, MC is EXTREMLY complete and compelling all on it's own as is.  There are very few features that could be added that would allow differential pricing.  I think the 'whole home' media server concept (meaning true multi-user/multi-client) is clearly one that would support seperate 'server' v.s. client pricing rather than the 'free' library server that exists today.  In fact, the value of the server (again, a 'real' multi-user server), IMHO, is far greater than that of the client.  If it twer me, I'd love to see 4 key components that are all very distinct - database, stream server (database/files in, soundcard(s) or stream(s) out), database management client (search, sort, orginizise, edit tags, create smartlists/playlists, import, export, etc., and a 'player' - simple stream sync with a very simple presentation layer that could be optimized for TV or touchscreen display/navigation.

Again, thanks for the response, love the product - keep up the good work!

Catul

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2005, 10:31:51 am »

I'm relatively new to MC (having purchased MC 11 last month) - I have the library setup on my home PC and like to listen to it on my desktop at work.  For now, I've been making a copy of the library and then copying it to my work PC, and have copied some of the audio files to a 20Gb USB drive which I keep it work.

I've been updating the ratings of songs as I listen to them at work.  Then, every once in a while, I'll copy the library back to my home PC to keep things synced up.  Obviously, this is all not an ideal way to do this.

I've discovered the Media Server and have successfully set things up.  Unfortunately, the library is now read-only on my work PC and so I can't update the ratings - that is the only thing I want to be able to do remotely - is there any way I can still do this, any work-around perhaps?  Really, anything short of going back to my old method of keeping two separate libraries and copying them back-and-forth would be great; any thoughts at all are appreciated!!

I understand there is a lot of work involved in allowing the ability to make the Library Server have write access to the library; is it any easier to perhaps allow ratings only to be updated?

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2005, 10:54:00 am »

Currently, only playcounts and last played time is updated remotely.
There is no way to update the ratings from the clients at this time.
What you could do is run netremote from work in addition to the MC client.  Then when you listen to a song via the client, access netremote to update the rating of the song.  Netremote and girder can be purchased from www.promixis.com.  Between the forums there and this forum, you should be able to set it up easily.
Several of us have requested the abililty to update tags remotely and perhaps our wish will be granted in a future update.

Catul

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2005, 03:00:31 pm »

zxsix, I appreciate the reply - and thanks for the pointer to Netremote, I didn't know of that and it's really interesting, especially considering I have a Pocket PC 2003 phone with unlimited broadband access (Audiovox XV6600 on Verizon's EVDO) which would make good use of NetRemote.

I suppose the combination of NetRemote and Girder would work - it would involve finding the currently playing song in MC on NetRemote and then instructing it to update the rating through Girder, right?  Since I have remote desktop access to control my home PC through the office PC, it's probably just as easy to change the rating on the home PC directly from there.  A little cumbersome, and certainly not as clean as having the client do it.

I wonder why, if the Last Played and playcount info is updated, things like ratings can't be updated?

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2005, 03:23:52 pm »

Whatever you control in netremote is gonna happen on the server machine.  So if you display the "playing now" list, it's the one on the server, not what you're playing locally.
But, you could choose the same album or the same playlist...then on netremote simply navigate to that song you just heard on the local machine and change the rating.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up