INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording in .ape  (Read 1289 times)

Darwin

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Recording in .ape
« on: October 31, 2002, 12:02:11 pm »

Does anyone know of a FAQ or something that could help me learn how to record in .ape format in Media Jukebox? The only thing I've been able to do is record from my CD to uncompressed .wav in Media Jukebox, and then convert it to .ape in Monkey's Audio.

I can import the .ape file into Media Jukebox and play it, but I lose a lot of the database/indexing info. I'd like to record songs from my CDs directly in .ape format in Media Jukebox and have all the artist/album info hooked up like it is when I record in .wav format. Can Media Jukebox do this? I've downloaded all the plugins and read everything I could find, but I can't seem to find out how to do it, or if Media Jukebox can do it?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Recording in .ape
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2002, 12:25:14 pm »

Take a look at the Help in MJ on ripping CD's.  You just need to change your encoding option when you rip to Monkey's Audio.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2002, 12:30:04 pm »

First, set up your encoder under Tools>Options>Encoder and select Monkey Audio and quality to Normal.

Load your CD....then stop the playback

In the tree under CD, DVD...., expand the branch and you should see your CD. Now right click on the CD Title and select Copy(Rip CD). It will then open another box with all the track names listed (allows you to de-select tracks you don't want to rip). You'll notice an Options button. You can modify your encoder settings here as well. If all is well click on OK and your off to the races.

Xenno

Darwin

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2002, 02:07:12 pm »

First, set up your encoder under Tools>Options>Encoder and select Monkey Audio and quality to Normal.

Xenno

That's where the problem is -- there is no option for Monkey Audio.  I've clicked the link and downloaded the plugin, but there is still no option to record in Monkey Audio. The only option are:

Ogg
Win Media
External
Wave

Shouldn't Monkey appear in the list? Or do I have to set Monkey up as an External Encoder? If so, how do I do it? External makes you fill in a "Parameters" setting. I can't find anything to get me to first base with this :-)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2002, 02:19:39 pm »

It should be in the list you just gave.

Try downloading the plug-in again from our web pages and watch to see if it installs successfully.

Darwin

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2002, 03:01:06 pm »

It should be in the list you just gave.

Try downloading the plug-in again from our web pages and watch to see if it installs successfully.

Thanks! I think we are getting close to solving this. On the Media Jukebox plugin page, the Monkey encoder is listed as a 90 KB filesize, but the file that I get is only 1KB.

In my plugin folder, both of these files are 1KB:

enc_ape.mjp
in_ape.mjp

There is also a file, in_ape.dll, that is 148KB.

Ape files play fine, but there is no option to record ape files. I hope this file size thing helps, cuz I've downloaded the ape encoder several times but it never shows up. I've also tried the "Add Plugin" in the Plugin Manager, but no luck.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2002, 03:04:59 pm »

Are you using IE to download?

Darwyn

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2002, 05:19:53 pm »

Darwin with an I,

It sounds to me like you are running an old version of Media Juebox. My recommendation is uninstall it. Download and install version 8.0 this will have all the formats on the encoder combo box. WAV WMA OGG MP3 MPC APE.

Your other "roundabout" option is to use a ripper only program like EAC. That supports ripping directly to APE as well.

Darwin

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2002, 05:58:05 pm »

:D  Whoa! That did it. Success! I changed my default browser to IE and the Monkey plugin downloaded and worked fine.

The plugin problem occurred when Mozilla 1.0.0 was set as my default browser on Win 98 SE. Media Jukebox version 8.0.385.

That's certainly an odd problem -- I don't feel quite so dumb for being baffled now :-) Just ask if you want more system info to look into it. For now, though, I'm going to crank up these excellent-sounding ape tunes and have a big Halloween drink.

Thanks!

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2002, 06:03:54 pm »

Yeah, unfortunately MJ is hardwired to use IE (which is a great browser, though). FYI: Moz is up to 1.2b now.

Xenno
Pages: [1]   Go Up