INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Managing Documents  (Read 1726 times)

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
Managing Documents
« on: October 21, 2004, 05:39:06 pm »

I'am trying to organize documentation I have on my computers. Mostly, PDF documents...

I have two computers:

At home: Music, images, and a few documents
At work: Many documents, and not much music or images

I can move selected music and selected images between computers, and MC is able to read tags and organize library well...

However, how can I move PDF documents (and tag information) between computers (and MC libraries)?

Please, I need some advice on this...

IanG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Managing Documents
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 05:29:45 am »

I don't think there's a solution to this at the moment.  Documents aren't tagged and there doesn't seem to be any way to import tag data, though you can export it in xml.  I suppose MC could implement a system for exporting/importing tag data along with an MD5 checksum, but there'd be problems with keeping things in synch.

Ian G.

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 09:28:38 am »

I don't think there's a solution to this at the moment.  Documents aren't tagged and there doesn't seem to be any way to import tag data, though you can export it in xml.  I suppose MC could implement a system for exporting/importing tag data along with an MD5 checksum, but there'd be problems with keeping things in synch.

Ian G.

I feared this answer. MC is unable to  keep information on untagables files... This has some serious implications, and it limits the posibilities of document managments in a serious way...

I know i have the option to rename files from tags, but this is not an option in many situations: I can't renemame corporate document at my own, or rename documents that are used for other applications...

I really like the ability of MC to manage general documents and I hope some day MC improve the document managent with those and more featrues...

Here are an option that could be easy to implement:

The tag information of untagable files could be stored in a XML file. It could be a XML for each document on the library, or may be better a XML file for each folder. Microsoft has added a folder.db to handle thumbnails and other issues... Could MC create and mantain a similar file to keep tags safe and moveables?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 09:33:29 am »

Remember that we've just begun working on document management.  We intend to go on but we need to proceed carefully.

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 10:41:17 am »

Remember that we've just begun working on document management.  We intend to go on but we need to proceed carefully.

Thanks for the answer.

MC ability to handle documents has been running for many months (¿6, 8?). Until now, I never have looked much at this option (basically because nobody talks about it...). Do you have an idea of how many users are using it? 10%? 5%? 1%?

I feel it has a great potential, and could be massibly used on some scenarios...

I think not to much work has to be made to make this potential really available, and the exposed issue (IMO) should be one of the priorities...

Just my opinion.

By the way, can you give us a map of what will succed on MC in the next 3 months? And before MC11 release? And in the next 1-2 years? What are your priorities? Document managment? Image editing? Library browser? GUI? Theatre view? Make it rock-solid? This information is not easy to deduce looking at daily update lists...

As a user, this is a important information to me. Because it could affect on what I do with MC and what I do with others solutions...

Best regards,

Polonio  

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 12:39:24 pm »

Hi Polonio,

I imported my Home Folder into MC11 and played around a little bit. You can find an account of my experiences by searching for "Document" or "Document Management" in Interact.

Needless to say, there was no great response to my posting. Somewhere it is a half-finished work, so users hardly commit themselves to use it on a daily basis.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 12:50:28 pm »

Jaguu,
"Half finished"?  You're talking about a program that has not been released yet.  By definition, it is unfinished.  If you want to use MC11 while we're working on it, please keep your expectations within reason.

Jim

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 07:28:35 am »

Jaguu,
"Half finished"?  You're talking about a program that has not been released yet.  By definition, it is unfinished.  If you want to use MC11 while we're working on it, please keep your expectations within reason.

Jim

There can be a lot of distance between "half-finished" and "unfinished" (which, by definition - so long as we're being pedantid - is anything less than 100% final).  I think Jaguu's comment was pretty accurate.  I started using the document management function to tag my thesis library but I gave up for lack of forward progress.

I though the whole point behind alpha/beta was to get user feedback.  This thread seems a valid data point:  not too many "users" are actually using the document management function and it's perhaps because of it's half-finished status.  My expectation is that it will either stay half-finished, get pulled, or be improved.  Is this reasonable?

Omni

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 12:17:40 pm »

My expectation is that it will either stay half-finished, get pulled, or be improved.

You sound like a politician.  It's good to see you covering all the bases in your "expectations."   ;D

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 08:07:14 am »

I though the whole point behind alpha/beta was to get user feedback.  This thread seems a valid data point:  not too many "users" are actually using the document management function and it's perhaps because of it's half-finished status.

That could be a reason. On my case: I am afraid to use it because I am not sure if JR thinks it is "half-finished", and eventually they will finish it, or they may think is fine as it is, and not much additional effort will be made...

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2004, 09:39:48 pm »

My expectation is that it will either stay half-finished, get pulled, or be improved.

You sound like a politician.  It's good to see you covering all the bases in your "expectations."   ;D

Just wanted to make sure my expectations fit reality!  But hey...  I left out one possibility:  functionality will be removed.  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up