INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IR Remote Support  (Read 894 times)

JONCAT

IR Remote Support
« on: September 01, 2004, 05:51:32 pm »

What if any, IR remotes does Media Center support?

thanks,
Jon

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:IR Remote Support
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 06:30:13 pm »

You can train any remote.  But you need an IR receiver that MC supports.  Check MC options for remotes and this page:

http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/remote.html

VGuarino

• Recent member
Re: IR Remote Support
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 04:07:10 pm »

I want to control my laptop which is my music client, connected to my receiver through digital out. The laptop is running MC V10 and uses Wi-Fi to retrieve the music via Media Server on my server PC. Why would MC even need to know about the IR receiver on the laptop? Doesn't the driver for the IR receiver talk to Windows (2k in this case)? Am I missing something regarding IR Remote control and MC? After all, all I need from the remote control is to move a cursor and hit return.

Thanks!
Vin

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
Re: IR Remote Support
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 02:30:13 am »

MC itself can listen for certain IR remotes.  There are plugins for them available on the site (irman is one, dunno about the others). 

But rather than have MC handle the remote you may want to considering using Girder instead.  Sure, it's another thing to add (and buy) but it does handle 'remote-like' things in a really, really flexible manner.  When you need more than just MC control you're stuck unless you use something like Girder.  I use my RF remotes to send their IR (from the base station) to a usb-uirt.  Girder then picks it up and sends commands to MC11, Homeseer or other apps depending on what signal was received.   As in, when detecting a 'Power' key from the 'Receiver' group on the remote it tells homeseer to toggle the X10 module controlling it's AC, waits a few seconds for it to settle and then sends some IR commands to put the receiver into the 'right' modes.  Not an unlikely scenario for what most folks might want to do and made possible using Girder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up