INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More internationalization aware  (Read 1968 times)

David from Spain

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
More internationalization aware
« on: October 17, 2004, 03:15:51 am »

Hi all,

Media Center is a great product but very focused to English speaking people.

One feature that would be very easy to implement and very useful for me is accent insensitive searching, like Google.  As I receive music from many different sources, sometimes accents are included whereas some are not.

For example if I'm searching for "música", I would like to have the option of matching "música", "mùsica", and "musica", in the same way Google and any search engine in Internet works.

When will Media Center will be translated into major languages?.  My father and family have difficulties with English.

This is my main wish list for MC.

happy5

• Recent member
  • Media Center all the way...
Re:More internationalization aware
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 06:56:17 am »

Hi David,

I also would like to see Media Center in other languages - it's about time, isn't it???  ;D

My wife doesn't understand much English and even worse, she doesn't like complicated programs. MC is kinda complicated but mainly it's because of all its features.

As for the accent searching... all I can tell you is that when I rip a CD or download music, I always manually change all the information, for instance from musica to música. Other languages also have accent marks so I usually end up veryfing the titles from the CD art or some other website - www.cduniverse.com is very good for indexing songs.

The YADB music engine is awful... I don't trust it for English, let alone Spanish.

Sorry I couldn't help you with that one. Again, what's best worked for me is to go the site I just mentioned, searching for the album in question and verifying and later chaning the name tags yourself.

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 09:57:09 am »

Welcome to the forum, David  :) Not too many spaniards 'round here.

Enjoy!

---
Listening to: 'Welcome To The Club' from 'The Legendary Sun Records Story [BOX SET] (CD 3)' by 'Jean Chapel' on Media Center 10

David from Spain

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 11:14:15 am »

Hi happy5,

In addition some competition software, even though they aren't as good as MC are translated like MusicMatch.

It isn't practical to change accents manually  for thousands of songs, from many different sources (that may or may not have entered good information) and many different accent politics.

Hi David,

I also would like to see Media Center in other languages - it's about time, isn't it???  ;D

My wife doesn't understand much English and even worse, she doesn't like complicated programs. MC is kinda complicated but mainly it's because of all its features.

As for the accent searching... all I can tell you is that when I rip a CD or download music, I always manually change all the information, for instance from musica to música. Other languages also have accent marks so I usually end up veryfing the titles from the CD art or some other website - www.cduniverse.com is very good for indexing songs.

The YADB music engine is awful... I don't trust it for English, let alone Spanish.

Sorry I couldn't help you with that one. Again, what's best worked for me is to go the site I just mentioned, searching for the album in question and verifying and later chaning the name tags yourself.

David from Spain

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 11:15:39 am »

Happy5, I forgot to thank you your valuable tips.

Hi David,

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 04:10:15 pm »

Not my case...

Polonio, from Spain.

happy5

• Recent member
  • Media Center all the way...
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 06:04:19 pm »

Well I'm from Puerto Rico so at least you have some Spanish speaking folks around here. As for the "workaround" I suggested David, yes I know it is cumbersome and not the ideal solution, but what is great about MC is that you can edit tags "on the fly", something that in my opinion is complicated in MusicMatch.

What I do is that everytime I rip a CD or download music I update the tags myself. I have a 2000+ song collection and updating the whole thing took about 30 minutes.

Again, you are right in that we need the features you want, but at the moment that's all we have.

But it is time that this thing got tranlated - some absolutely worthless software are available at various languages, so why not MC?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 09:04:01 am »

MC 10 and 11 should ignore accents when searching.

Please post examples if this isn't working properly.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

David from Spain

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 01:39:49 am »

:D  the lastest version of MC10 has this feature enabled.  I tried it several months ago and didn't work, and didn't try again.

Next time I will comment anything I will try it just before!!

Now I like MC even more.

Mario from Spain

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 07:38:44 am »

Not my case...

Polonio, from Spain.

You can count on one more!

Mario from Spain.

Anyway I would love to know if there is any plans to translate it in to spanish (and others, shure!).

LonWar

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 07:43:07 am »

Not my case...

Polonio, from Spain.

You can count on one more!

Mario from Spain.

Anyway I would love to know if there is any plans to translate it in to spanish (and others, shure!).

You can change the the language file in MC.... Look around the boards some people have already translated into a few languages...
-
Pages: [1]   Go Up