INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the story about tile view?  (Read 1782 times)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
What is the story about tile view?
« on: November 08, 2004, 03:12:15 pm »

Hi J River,

any comments on the situation of "tile view"?

Right now it

1) displays images only very randomly leaving most image fields empty
2) it is very slow when scrolling
3) it is not at all configurable - same view for audio, images, video and documents.
4) As it has a white background it looks ugly when scrolling through the different views using Ctrl-U?

As it is now it would be better to drop it. Of course it would be better to improve it!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:What is the story about tile view?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 04:37:32 pm »

Thanks Jaguu.

We know it's rough.  It started as a way to embed other programs and windows into a file listing.  It allowed us to make the Library Browser.

I'm not sure where it's headed.  We thought some web experts might make some great tiles.  Have you cooked up anything interesting?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 05:14:49 pm »

Well, I experimented some time ago and I like tile view for the following reason:

It allows me to display much more information about every single track or image than the normal detail view without the need to scroll sidewards.

I made something that looked like that:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx   Period:     Impressionism
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Artist:       Claude Monet
xxx Thumb xxx   Title:        Waterloo Bridge on sunset, 1885
xxxxxnailxxxxxx   Gallery:    Musée d'Orsay, Paris, France
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Size:        80 x 50 cm
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Medium:  Oil on canvas
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Comment: On loan to the Hermitage, St. Petersbourg, Russia

With a small font (about 9 points) it looked pretty good except that
1) the thumbnail did not display
2) it was very slow to scroll downwards
3) it was very specific to my artwork gallery, so it was of no use to audio, video and other images.

I think that having a single html file for every track/image makes scrolling up/down very slow.

JiiPee

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 02:12:45 pm »

Few question/observations in addition of Jaguu's
1. Is it possible to use height more than 130 pixels(like in default html) for one object with tile view?
2. Screen gets full of garbage when scrolling in tile view.

It could be great for browsing movies as you could see coverart at the same time with the data, like in Jaguu's example with the pictures. Only if it were polished little and if user could customize it a bit. more

With current implementation it's pretty unusable

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 06:24:36 am »

I would love to see changeable ratings in the tile view, and much smaller tiles, so that I could use that view to organise my pics. Now I have to use the tagging window to tag images which requires more clicking (once to bring up the ratings list and then again to change it) or else use the detail view, which is also undesirable.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 01:04:06 pm »

Thanks Matt,

tile view is working much better now, thumbnails are back and redrawing faster!

Question? does tile view support a custom folder so that customization will not be overwritten every time?

Although improved,  the major weakness remains that there only one tile view altogether. I there should be at least a different tile view for each media media type, better would be full configurability and bind it to individual view schemes. And we should define which views we want to have on a oer view scheme basis.

That means, when defining a view scheme I could add a preferred content view and a preferred column view to the view scheme definition.

And this would be a very nice add-on feature:

We can already define the size of thumbnails for content view. I experimented with different sizes and some smaller one look very nice. As you can already define the size and the thumbnails are already there it would be nice to save them on a per view basis. Why?

When you start a presentation you could start with very small thumbnails, then press ctl-u (or the remote control), they would become a little bigger, then ctl-u again, they would grow a little bit more etc. So you could cycle through different views with ever growing thumbnail size before you finally start a slide show....

Not really essential, but a nice visual effect....

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 08:10:30 am »

After fiddling around I found out that I cannot adjust the height of a tile any longer.

Also, what is the color code of the Thunderstorm skin background as the white background does not look really pretty.

Basically, for thumbnails a size of 96x96 would be enough and also the default font "Times Roman" could be adjusted to the MC11 default font.

I also found out that editing the index.html with Winword 2003 changes the brackets of the [Image File] tag. They are replaced by their html code and afterwards the images are not displayed any longer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up