INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media server on a LAN  (Read 1340 times)

petekarn

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Media server on a LAN
« on: October 30, 2002, 04:37:41 am »

Has anyone had luck setting up the Media Server on a LAN behind a proxy server? All my systems are on the same subnet, but they can't find the server. The systems can file share through TCP/IP okay. I've tried auto and manual port settings. All systems are W2K SP3. Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media server on a LAN
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2002, 06:28:28 am »

Whatever device you have acting as your gateway to the Internet must be able to route packets to the right IP address internally.  (I'm assuming you're running the Media Server inside the LAN and trying to access it from outside.)

This means that there should be a table somewhere that lets you convert an incoming request on port xx to go to an internal IP address (not visible to the outside world).

Then your request from the client side should be addressed to the gateway device which will then route the packets to the right PC.

Take a look at your manual and you should find something on this.

If you need more help, please post more details about the configuration.  

petekarn

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2002, 06:51:47 am »

Thanks for the quick comeback! Actually I am trying to access the server from 'inside' the LAN. That's the wierd part. As for outside, I'd rather not setup any holes in my firewall.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2002, 07:07:28 am »

More details please: are you using static IP addresses,or NAT? Are you running any other services on the server? What's your network topology look like?

j

RemyJ

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2002, 07:20:54 am »

Quick test...  Can you get to the media server from an MJ client on the same machine?

If not, check that the server is actually "shared".   Does an ip address and port appear in the title bar?  If not, share the server by selecting "File/Share" from the menu.

If it doesn't share, another process is probably using the port.  Try another one.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

petekarn

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2002, 05:03:38 pm »

Thanks for the info, RemyJ. I didn't even try to access via the external IP address. I thought it would stay on the internal subnet. Got it working fine! BTW, one of the most useful forums I've ever used. Keep up the good work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up