INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boombox/Outdoor device to play mp3s  (Read 4042 times)

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
Boombox/Outdoor device to play mp3s
« on: November 13, 2004, 11:27:02 pm »

Hello guys,

Here's the deal: I play outdoor volleyball with my friends every weekends and use my ipod connected to a boombox via a tape adapter. The sound quality is less than acceptable and I'm looking for a new alternative. Most of the time we play at a location where power supply is available, there fore several options come to mind:
- Boombox with an AUX-IN + my Ipod
- Boombox that supports MP3 CDs playback
- 2.1 PC speaker set + my Ipod

Some of the issues (or not) to keep in mind:
- I don't feel like spending tons of money on this by the way (<$150)
- I need a fairly powerfull amp as the music has to be projected to a fairly big outdoor area
- Power supply isn't an issue as there are outlets where we play.

Right now I'm tempted to go for a 2.1 speaker system. But it's not very convenient to move around...

Any thoughts/suggestions on what to buy? Have you guys tried any of those mp3 boomboxes that support MP3 CDs? I wonder how good the navigation system is, and if they support playlists, genres, etc... So feel free to suggest brands & models and share your personal experience.

Thanks,

-Cascius

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
Re:Boombox/Outdoor device to play mp3s
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 05:22:59 pm »

Any thoughts?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 05:47:25 pm »

A boombox with aux in and mp3 CD.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 05:34:27 pm »

If I could jump without injuring myself, I'd stil be playing volleyball.  We used to have a game every Saturday out by the ocean at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco.  Man it was fun.  Then we'd go for cheeseburgers afterward.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 06:15:48 pm »

Have you heard about the SounpaX cardboard speakers? They can be folded for transporting.

The sound quality is amazingly good and they are cheap: The list price is $69 for a speaker pair with a small battery driven stereo amp. There is an optional AC-adapter.

Here are some links:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5404920/
http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h305.htm
http://www.si-5.com/si5_html.html
http://www.nxtsound.com/industries/ind_caseStudies.php?f_id=16&MODE=MERC

Though I don't know if they are loud enough. Otherwise they would be perfect for that purpose, I think. Perhaps two or more pairs...
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 03:44:41 am »

Thanks for the info guys.

Jimh: I used to play volleyball in the marina in SF. I haven't tried in the Golden Gate Park yet. Maybe I should next time I'm up there. (I live in LA) Maybe we should play a game together one of these days. :P

Alex B: Those speakers sound quite interesting, but I won't go with them for 2 reasons:
- It requires an amplifier
- I'm afraid they would get distroyed the first time they receive one of our amazing (yeah right!) spikes...

I think I'm just gona go for a 2.1 PC speaker system and incorporate it in a bag to make it more handy to transport. Some of my friends are product designers so I might challenge them to come up with something cool looking based on a 2.1 system. We'll see...

Anyway, thanks for the comments guys,

-Cascius

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 05:21:49 pm »

Hello guys,

Here's the deal: I play outdoor volleyball with my friends every weekends and use my ipod connected to a boombox via a tape adapter. The sound quality is less than acceptable and I'm looking for a new alternative.

BTW, I suspect that the problem is with the boombox itself rather than the tape adaptor.  You should be able to get a kickass PC 2.1 system for $50 or so if you shop the specials and closeouts on the web.

meehawl

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
MP3-Enabled Boombox
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 07:22:31 am »

- Boombox that supports MP3 CDs playback

Philips do a good line of mp3-enabled boomboxes.

On the low end you can get something like the Soundmachine, that plays back mp3s on CD.
http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/catalog/catalog.jsp?fhquery=fh_secondid%3Daz2537_17_us_consumer%26fh_location%3D%2F%2Fconsumer%2Fen_US%2Fcategories%3Ccatalog_us_consumer%2Fcategories%3Cportable_entertainment_gr_us_consumer%2Fcategories%3Ccd_soundmachines_ca_us_consumer%26&productId=AZ2537_17_US_CONSUMER&activeCategory=PORTABLE_ENTERTAINMENT_GR_US_CONSUMER&fredhopperpage=detail.jsp&language=en&country=US&catalogType=CONSUMER

On the higher end, you could try their shelf/boombox Streamium, which will stream MP3 and Internet audio as well. They are a lot pricier though and probably beyond what you need.
Irish guy in San Francisco

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 04:22:18 pm »

Just thought I'd point out that they've started shipping the new Booombox for iPod (it's a boombox that you stick your iPod into).

See www.ipodlounge.com for the announcement and links to their site.

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004, 02:49:42 pm »

Thanks for the new info guys,

I think the Iboom looks like an expensive piece of crap, lol. On the other hand, the Phillips boomboxes look real sexy. I will definitely keep it in mind even though I'm most likely going to go for a 2.1 sound system.

Thanks again,

-cascius
Pages: [1]   Go Up