INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD Playback with No Sound/Disturbed Sound - NERO being the Problem?  (Read 2065 times)

Mighty_A-MAN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • The world rotates, so does my car's engine ...

Dear all,

Since a while all Media Center versions crashed when I tried to play back a DVD (movie). However, Nero Show Time did play those DVDs just fine.

I thought something might be wrong deeply inside the system and so, after a while, I just re-installed Windows to get a clean system. I then installed Media Center 11 (Build 117) and other applications as Nero Reloaded.

Now Media Center is not crashing when playing DVDs, but there is no sound or just disturbing sound (actors talk like Mickey Mouse, but even faster, not being able to understand anything). The same happens to Windows Media Player. However, Nero Show Time is playing back everything just perfectly!

I don't really want to use Nero Show Center, but I installed it (after only installing the Nero burning software) to see if that will play back everything as it should. Actually it does.

So does anybody know what kind of problem I have here? Is it caused by the initial installation of Nero (it seems that Nero installs Nero Digital/Nero Audio Decoder Filter Version 1.0.428) which was before I installed the ShowTime application?

I'm really depressed about this issue!   :(    Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mighty A-MAN

Media Center Registered 11.0.117 -- C:\Programme\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2525 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 209 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive G:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive H:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive G: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4040B   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:4  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive H: _NEC     DVD+RW ND-1100A    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:DVD Playback with No Sound/Disturbed Sound
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 04:47:29 pm »

A possibility is that you have an onboard sound chip and also a sound card installed.  It's possible to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS.

Mighty_A-MAN

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 04:53:55 pm »

A possibility is that you have an onboard sound chip and also a sound card installed.  It's possible to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS.

Mmmh, I've been able to watch DVDs before I installed Nero in the first place, I'm pretty sure about that.

I have a Dell PC coming with a SoundBlaster 5.1 Live by the way (maybe this helps). I don't know about an onboard sound-chip, but I'll check.

Thanks,

Mighty A-MAN

Mighty_A-MAN

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 05:21:32 pm »

No, there's no additional sound-chip onboard, so this is no solution I'm afraid.

:'(

Cheers,

Mighty A-MAN

Mighty_A-MAN

• Junior Woodchuck
Re:DVD Playback with No Sound/Disturbed Sound - NERO being the Problem?
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 09:10:28 am »

So, is nobody with Media Center and Nero being installed any problems with DVD playback in Media Center or in general after installing Nero?

As said, only Nero Show Center is displaying DVDs properly with sound.

Cheers,

Mighty A-MAN

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re:DVD Playback with No Sound/Disturbed Sound - NERO being the Problem?
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 09:55:00 am »

It seems to me that the installed Nero decoder is now the default decoder and it is not compatible with other software. (I have no experience about the current Nero software. Just using the old and trusty Nero 5.5 for burning.) Doesn't Ahead have forums for Nero users?

Do you have WinDVD or PowerDVD? If you have, reinstalling might help.

You could also try this open source audio decoding filter:
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ac3filter.cfm

and perhaps this for video decoding if you play files from HD (DivX, XviD, WMV, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2):
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ffdshow.cfm

Other links that might help:
http://forums.afterdawn.com/
http://forum.doom9.org/
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up