INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What formats will Media Server convert on-the-fly?  (Read 2188 times)

Beaker

What formats will Media Server convert on-the-fly?
« on: January 02, 2005, 05:44:59 pm »

What format(s) will Media Server (for MC10) transcode on the fly for Tivo serving? And/or, will MC11 be any different in this regard?

I ask because I want to store stuff in lossless format, and it seems that MC10 will transcode APE but not ALE. (I haven't yet tried FLAC or WMA-Lossless.)

APE is good except that I'm not happy with the auto-tagging that YADB (or freedb) provides, and ALE is the only lossless format I've been able to find so far that can be auto-tagged using Gracenote/CDDB. (My wife has a bunch of baroque/classical CDs that Gracenote handles much better.)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: What formats will Media Server convert on-the-fly?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 05:50:01 pm »

MC should be able to convert anything it can play.  I don't believe MC supports ALE.  At least I've never heard of it.

Beaker

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 05:52:00 pm »

ALE is Apple Lossless Encoding, the lossless format that ITunes supports... sorry for the confusion, I've seen it referred to that way on other boards.

MC10 plays my ALE files just fine, but Media Server refuses to transcode them... don't know why, it just skips them.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 06:06:34 pm »

It's unlikely we'll support an Apple format anytime soon.  Can you find a Winamp input  plug-in for it?  MC supports Winamp plug-ins and may work.

Beaker

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 06:08:17 pm »

Well, MC10 played my ALE files just fine out of the box, with no extra plugins. Perhaps its using iTunes/Quicktime to play them? (I have both installed on my machine.) If I find a WinAmp plugin, how do I install it for MC10?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 11:12:56 am »

We don't have an decoder for ALE format, and it's not likely that Apple will make one publically available. So, while we can do playback on the same machine, we cannot transcode for TiVo Server (or Library Server and UPnP Server). There are a few formats like this, and some formats that we are prevented from sharing because of license restrictions.

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up