INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Organizing Images  (Read 967 times)

edbro

• Citizen of the Universe
Organizing Images
« on: November 21, 2004, 04:39:28 pm »

I am experimenting with using MC to catalog all my images and I have a couple of questions:

1. When I do a search on a keyword, how can I make MC only show the matches? Currently, after a keyword search it shows all my images and highlights the matches. I'd like the window to be cleared and only see a list of the images I searched for. This is the way most other image catalog programs work.

2. How can I make a keyword search show up as a default search? Now I have to hunt through all the fields after selecting "More Fields". Too cumbersome to do if I will be using keywords to catalog my images. I'd like to have it up at the top of the search options window instead of having to select it from the scores of other fields in the secondary "More Fields" window.

3. Is there a better way to tag/catalog images other than keywords? Currently what I'm doing seems a bit awkward so if there is a better way to skin the cat I'd welcome your ideas.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Organizing Images
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 05:43:20 pm »

Hmmm.... when you search in the search window in the upper right corner, that's what you should get.  Just the images you want, not all of them.

Example:
fall 2004
or
fall 2004 jpg

What you get may depend on what's selected in the tree.  If audio is selected, only audio is searched, etc.

I tag mine with a genre and a comment.  MC fills in the year.  Then I look at them by year/genre/comment in the tree.

What version do you have?  Please copy your system info from MC Help and paste it here.

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 06:45:56 pm »

3. Is there a better way to tag/catalog images other than keywords? Currently what I'm doing seems a bit awkward so if there is a better way to skin the cat I'd welcome your ideas.

You have to experiment to see what works for you.  I have used Album to group pictures as I load them.  I'm not sure if I am happy with that or not.  An image can only be in one photo.

You can also use playlists and add images to playlists that are organized however you want.

There is a lot of functionality with People/Places/Events....  you might want to explore that some.

Try to work backwards from what is it exactly you want to do with your images.  Are you looking to find some very specific image typically, or do you want a group of images for a slideshow or what ever else you might do.

edbro

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 08:56:19 pm »

Hmmm.... when you search in the search window in the upper right corner, that's what you should get.  Just the images you want, not all of them.

Example:
fall 2004
or
fall 2004 jpg
You were absolutely right Jim. I didn't even think about the search bar in the upper right. I was using Quick Search (Ctrl-Q). For some reason, that has a different behavior. Quick Search only highlighted the results. The other search filtered the results the way I wanted them. Thank you.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 09:16:28 pm »

Whew!  Glad it's working.
Pages: [1]   Go Up